O- ring issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello
Im currently using a DX 1G with double YS 27 strobes - after a years worth of use and over 150 plus dives and 1000's of pics Im happy with the camera setup. The problem Im having is with the O-rings,after each dive I remove my O-rings run them between my fingers to make sure there is no debris,ect on them then run them thru my fingers again with a lite coat of silicon grease.I also make sure there is no debris in the seats of the o-rings on the camera and strobes. After a month or so the O-rings become extended and too loose in the seats especially on the strobes-meaning I have to change them-the strobes will not "click" shut as they should due to slack in the o-rings
In a year I have gone thru 4 camera o-rings and as many for the strobes
Am I doing something wrong here?
Is there anyone out there having the same problems?

You're using the wrong lube. Try using lube made specifically by the manufacturer for those particular o-rings.

For example, colored o-rings are typically silicone; using silicone lube causes the o-rings to swell and generally behave as you describe. At the worst they degrade and become sticky. The lube used for silicone o-rings is usually a fluorosilicone compound such as Molykote FS1292 (although I am having good luck so far with another fluorinated lube, Christolube MCG 111).

Silicone lube is best reserved for Nitrile (Buna-N) orings, which are black.

All the best, James

You're using the wrong lube. Try using lube made specifically by the manufacturer for those particular o-rings.

For example, colored o-rings are typically silicone; using silicone lube causes the o-rings to swell and generally behave as you describe. At the worst they degrade and become sticky. The lube used for silicone o-rings is usually a fluorosilicone compound such as Molykote FS1292 (although I am having good luck so far with another fluorinated lube, Christolube MCG 111).

Silicone lube is best reserved for Nitrile (Buna-N) orings, which are black.

All the best, James
Thank-you for the advice - Im switching lubes as of now
When in Tahiti give me a call -I owe you a dive

HI islandscribe-
fdog is correct, the SEA&SEA blue o-rings should only be lubricated with the SEA&SEA yellow tube/blue cap o-ring lube as it is the correct compound. Also, take care when removing and handling the o-rings not to stretch or pull them apart as they will become elongated and lose their form. A basic o-ring maintenance page is available HERE

I also have the DX-1G and since it comes with the Lithium Ion battery I never have to open the case until the end of the dive day since there is plenty of power to take pics for two or three dives. I also do not remove the O-ring after every dive day but do check to make sure there is no hairs of particles the would create a leak. I don't know if I'm correct, but my philosophy is that the more you remove the O-ring the greater chance of a leak. Since the grease does not create the waterproof seal there is no need to grease the o-rings daily.

I do replace my o-rings at least once every year whether they need it or not just to be on the safe side.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom