O/W stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

I'm booked up with my O/W course next month and have had the manuals/dvd to read through. My question is how much exactly would i need to take in and know off by heart from the O/W Manual? Obviously as i progress to whatever level, i should be able to recite the manual instantly but how much attention should i pay to features like "Front/rear mounted BCDs" for example which from what i can gather, are rarely used these days. I can understand that it's covered in the book for reference (which makes interesting reading for a newbie btw), but do i really need to retain this info at this time in my learning when i would rather spend my time memorising more relevant information?

Bit of a daft one i know but its just a thought.:confused:

Oh, and this post has probably come out the wrong way...i have a habit of doing that :(

hey, it's good you're reading through the book. but that's about all that will be expected. just read through it a few times, look at the pictures, familiarize yourself
with the contents, and then the instructor will go through some parts in more details,
and you'll be tested on those.

Just read through the book if you can and dont get too carried away on remembering everything. Thats what the classroom sessions are for. Just pay attention to what the instructor is teaching and you will be fine. You will be doing a chapter at a time. Enjoy the class..

Focus on the knowledge reviews - that's where you'll get an idea for what questions you'll see again later. (HINT, HINT, HINT.)

:)

In Turks and Caicos i took my OW and i scanned over the book in about 1.5 hrs and i was fine for the test!!!!!!!!

As other posters have said... just chill. Read the book, watch the DVD. Be sure to complete the knowledge reviews. If you are a PADI students there is also a small booklet that covers the dive tables... read it and work the problems.

The great thing about the home study system is that you can go at your own speed and the learning is really programed. You are told at the begining of each section what is important. You have quick checks as you go through the material... you have knowledge reviews to back up the important stuff... and then you have quizes administered by your instructor. Anything you have trouble with is really an oportunity for your instructgor to clarify, localize and extend.

Enjoy.

Don't worry about memorizing the book....much of it can feel confusing anyway until you actually get your hands on gear, and work with your instructor in the pool. As you become more familiar with the gear and how to use it, the book will start making more sense and you'll be able to understand & use the information rather than just committing it to memory.

Well I studied it over 3 weeks and did all the questions at the end of each chapter. I got confused by BCDs and Din,yoke connections to tanks etc but it became much clearer once I got my hands on the actual equipment.

Dont worry too much and like previous people say, look particularly at the questions that are asked at the end of each chapter. Much of this will be covered in class again.

Good luck!

Where in Wales are you ? (im from there too but working abroad diving this summer)

String:
Where in Wales are you ? (im from there too but working abroad diving this summer)

I'm down in Swansea. Weather is good these days!:D

Thanks to all for your replies. I was suspecting that the main points i need to know will be covered in class but it's good to have this confirmed.

Thanks again all. Really looking forward now:wink:

Back
Top Bottom