O2 cleaning steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detsgtdavis

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone give a step by step of how to O2 clean my steel tanks? I know there is some information on the thread already but not sure if the step are complete.

Also I am going to O2 Clean my thermo valves / manifold. Does any one have information on the different size o rings needed. I have read the information from Diveritexpress.com. Also if you know of local sources for the parts I would glad to hear . Yes I know there are several online dive shops and local dive shops I could purchase rebuild kits. I am trying to do this as a complete DIY, with your help!

A rebuild kit would contain disks, O rings and a valve seat. I don't think you will be able to "DIY" all that. You have to buy the parts. Buy a O ring kit from JC Whitney or one of the zillion kits offered on the net. Nitrile rings cost very little and will do fine on your manifold. Get the face O ring from a dive shop because it is harder rubber than the others. Don't use Viton or the other stuff unless you are storing O2 in these tanks. However, dive shops like to see funny colored O rings on the large, threaded boss which inserts into the tank.

My feeling is that if you are so nervous about this simple stuff you should not do it. However, to clean the inside of a tank, pour in some detergent, water and marbles or gravel. Tumble the tank, rinse and forced air dry. Check the threads for grease. They must be clean. Toothbrush science.

I use ENSOLV solvent for the tank and valves. A stripped valve can be cleaned in two minutes, and I mean CLEAN. Most new manifolds are already clean enough but they should be inspected if unsure.

Not relying on past threads is a cop out. The explanations given by some of these people on SB are so involved that it makes even me feel ill. Heck, they'll have you traipsing across the world for the latest green or gold detergent and rust inhibiters; and they name names. If you can't find it here, you won't find it in the Hacker book.

pescador775 thanks for the reply and the information. There is really good threads on this site and on others about the process.

You are right there is enough information posted on this topic. I get caught up on the different opinions. For example which is the best sovlent to use. Your post has made me rethink what I am doing. I have made a list of the steps, ordering the o ring kits and just going to do it.

Thanks for call me out! " Not relying on past threads is a cop out".

Not sure about JC Whitney but I can go ahead and buy from someone like Diveritepress.com

Yes... but Dive Rite express (and other vendors for OEM Manufacturer parts from the valve companies) sell kits that are made for o2 gases.

JC Whitney does not...

comparing the two is like buying a regulator hose from Dive Rite express that is made for diving by a specific manufaturer with the proper fittings or a hose from JC Whitney that is made for running anything through and not properly sized, etc...

The JC Whitney kit is more complete for a cheap price than any I've seen. Very good quality, too. If you are paranoid about the micro film of silicone on the rings, just wash the rings in ENSOLV or detergent and recoat with Christolube. Special O rings are only needed for mechanical purposes and for storing oxygen. These requirements are not the same. Almost nobody is asking about storing oxygen but they often don't say either way. They just say "oxygen clean". There is a difference in the technology but paramount is quality and longevity of the parts including rings. That is, for a non-oxygen (air, nitrox) system, the piston O ring in a regulator should be urethane and all others should be nitrile based on their superior mechanical properties. It is a waste of money to buy inferior Viton or EPDM. Again, there is always the exception; if high pressure oxygen is being stored in the cylinder, the large, valve O ring should be made of one of these materials. However, partial pressure mixing is not included in this requirement except for political purposes, eg, impressing the odd dive shop guy that one is "in the know".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom