O2 Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a pair of Worthington HP100's that I just dropped off for hydro at a shop that only does partial pressure blending. When they do the VIP, is there a way to determine if they happen to already be O2 clean and then label them as such?

I bought them new so they were of course clean at one point, but I had them filled/VIP'd at a lakeside shop in Texas years ago where I was staying at the time and that was not O2 compatible.

Basically what I'm asking is there a way to determine if they actually require cleaning, or will they always require cleaning if they're going to slap the sticker on?

If you have ever put any air in those tanks that was not O2 compatible or Modified Grade E then your tanks are not clean and will require O2 cleaning. Once clean and with the appropriate sticker, if you maintain the O2 clean status, they will not require recleaning. if you are talking about Force-e in WPB, go ahead and bite the bullet, get them cleaned and keep them that way.

Most hydro shops do not return cylinders in an O2 clean state. Some do. For instance, my local facility hydros O2 cylinders - lots of them. It is cheaper, faster, and easier for them to treat every cylinder as an O2 cylinder. Thus they come back O2 clean if they were O2 clean to start with. I.e. they do not O2 clean them unless needed or requested.

As for checking for O2 cleanliness, many use an ultra violet light which will highlight hydro-carbons.

If you have ever put any air in those tanks that was not O2 compatible or Modified Grade E then your tanks are not clean and will require O2 cleaning. Once clean and with the appropriate sticker, if you maintain the O2 clean status, they will not require recleaning.

While technically true there is also a practical side. Often Grade E air is clean enough to be classified as O2 compatible or Modified Grade E but is not because of the test standard used. Thus one often balances quality of fills and when one needs to O2 clean. For most that ends up being at hydro.

Back
Top Bottom