Question Rinsing O2 cleaned tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edwants2dive

Glowstick
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I had 2 tanks O2 cleaned and they still have a slight smell/taste of the simple green used to clean them. What would be the best way to get rid of that? I am thinking about draining the gas and rinsing them with distilled water. I am on well water and don't want to use it because I feel it would not be good for them. Would that be ok and would it rid them of the smell?

boil the distilled water first and make sure you have really dry gas *from another scuba tank is ideal* to blow it dry.
@tbone1004 that's kind of what I thought. Thanks.

Just to be clear, use boiling hot water which will evaporate quicker.

That said who did the O2 cleaning?? If a local shop I would take have the shop rinse the cylinders again. They hopefully have a tank stand, lots of dry gas, and will refill them for you.

Just to be clear, use boiling hot water which will evaporate quicker.
For the DIY cleaner the "Evaporate Quicker" brings up an interesting procedural question.
* After the initial draining of the boiling water, should the tank be "inverted" & dry air blown,,,,,,OR,,,,remain upright and dry air blown knowing that evaporation rises upward. Both methods are to remove the remaining moisture, but at the same time the DIY'er doesn't usually own a device(tank stand) to hold a tank upside down with an air supply tube.

PS>Every shop I've seen with a tank stand is upside down but that's usually so they can walk away from it and doing something else. Mine uses Oxy-Safe Rust Inhibitor Compound O (not B !)

For the DIY cleaner the "Evaporate Quicker" brings up an interesting procedural question.
* After the initial draining of the boiling water, should the tank be "inverted" & dry air blown,,,,,,OR,,,,remain upright and dry air blown knowing that evaporation rises upward. Both methods are to remove the remaining moisture, but at the same time the DIY'er doesn't usually own a device(tank stand) to hold a tank upside down with an air supply tube.

PS>Every shop I've seen with a tank stand is upside down but that's usually so they can walk away from it and doing something else. Mine uses Oxy-Safe Rust Inhibitor Compound O (not B !)
I'd invert the tank. Blowing air will cool and condense the undrained water vapor, and once that happens, gravity is the determining factor.

So I had 2 tanks O2 cleaned and they still have a slight smell/taste of the simple green used to clean them. What would be the best way to get rid of that? I am thinking about draining the gas and rinsing them with distilled water. I am on well water and don't want to use it because I feel it would not be good for them. Would that be ok and would it rid them of the smell?

ED,

Cylinders were not properly rinsed when they were O2 cleaned Suggest taking them back to service tec and having them re-O2 cleaned, at their cost.

Any other DYI method would not be technically O2 cleaned, and why would you want to place the liability on yourself. Further, any DYI method would render your service sticker null and void.

Others may have opinions that differ, they would be wrong.

Rose.

In my case, I put mine on the floor and roll them while blowing dry air into them.

Strap everything within 100yards down after you build one of these
to aid evaporation of your boiling water
and just remember to not use a gallon of simpleton green per tank
004.JPG

Answer: find a no residual stench alternative, like my proven favorite......... bing bong, it's the door, "I'm coming!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom