O2 tank explosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did he not have insurance?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Yes he did but as anyone who has had a catastrophic accident quickly learns insurance does not cover all the bills. He is also self-employed as a videographer (He owns Nautilus Productions) so he has not been able to work since the accident. That makes for a bad year. Many dive shop owners would be in a similar situation if they got seriously hurt. That's why we are helping him out.

Ed

I get the rest I just didn't understand the medical bills. Those are usually caped per year.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ggunn

Oxygen is no more or less explosive when a tank ruptures than any other gas. Chemical explosions involving oxygen bottles can occur when combustible oil or grease contaminate a cylinder, but that would have happened during the fill process, not during transport.
After this thread and the youtube video O2 tank explosion I'm giving O2 bottles a lot more respect.

It is only a google search away:

SCUBA Valves, Regulator Fittings, and Cylinder Neck Threads - Dive Gear Express

In the U.S. at the turn of the twentieth century, a series of boiler explosions caused significant loss of life. The most famous of the accidents, the Grover Shoe Factory disaster in 1905 resulted in stringent safety laws and a national code related to safe operation of boilers but is inclusive of most pressure vessels, including modern scuba cylinders. All U.S. cylinder valves are required by the Department of Transportation (DOT) to have a pressure release device (PRD) that operates if the pressure exceeds the cylinder test specifications.

Iztok, it sounds as though you have been lucky enough to avoid major illnesses. My lady friend had what she thought was a great insurance plan, with a $3,000 cap yearly on her payments. Then, she came down with colon cancer, and she found out how the "cap" works. she just did her taxes, and found that she paid directly, $9,200 last year. apparently the "cap" has some holes in it. Luckily, she caught it way early and the doc says the cancer has been obliterated.

Heart attack,, Crohn's, Fibromyalgia, and CFS are just top of it. Nothing major I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom