O2 tank explosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick,

First, it is very good to hear from you. This accident is a revalation on what pure oxygen can do. I'm glad you are recovering from this, and look forward to the full accident report.

All,

Yesterday, I was in the pool (scuba and kayakers in our local pool at one time), and noticed a guy swimming along, with very few bubbles. After he got out, I got out to change regulators (I was comparing the three single stage regs I have, the USD DX Overpressure Breathing, the Mistral and the Healthways Gold Label, all of which are double hose regulators). We talked for about 15 minutes, as he is recovering from back surgery and was using a tank of pure oxygen (hence the lack of bubbles). He was in communication with DAN about this as a therapy, but did not realize that our pool is 18 feet deep. I discussed this accident with him, and told him to handle that single 80 AL tank with kid gloves. I also asked that he come to this site to read about this accident. There are a lot of people who still do not understand the hazards of pure oxygen under pressure.

SeaRat

We talked for about 15 minutes, as he is recovering from back surgery and was using a tank of pure oxygen (hence the lack of bubbles).

Could you explain this??? Did he have rebreather or what? How can there be lack of bubbles?

He had some bubbles, just not normal exhalations. There was no "burst" of bubbles that you normally get from deep inhalations and a subsequent exhalation. I thought he was trying breath control, as he was using DIR techniques of swimming, but there was just a small stream of bubbles from him. Apparently, with the pure oxygen, he was inhaling and then doing a very slow exhalation over a prolonged period of time. It simply to me did not look "normal," hence the reference to the "lack of bubbles."

SeaRat

I'm putting a link to this thread over on the Vintage Diving thread, as they also need to be aware of this hazard. It also needs to be up where people can see it.

SeaRat

All,

Yesterday, I was in the pool (scuba and kayakers in our local pool at one time), and noticed a guy swimming along, with very few bubbles. After he got out, I got out to change regulators (I was comparing the three single stage regs I have, the USD DX Overpressure Breathing, the Mistral and the Healthways Gold Label, all of which are double hose regulators). We talked for about 15 minutes, as he is recovering from back surgery and was using a tank of pure oxygen (hence the lack of bubbles). He was in communication with DAN about this as a therapy, but did not realize that our pool is 18 feet deep. I discussed this accident with him, and told him to handle that single 80 AL tank with kid gloves. I also asked that he come to this site to read about this accident. There are a lot of people who still do not understand the hazards of pure oxygen under pressure.

SeaRat

It sounds like he's essentially trying to give himself hyperbaric oxygen therapy under water. I can't imagine that DAN recommended this or even approved of it.

Much thanks for that and for those who cared enough to help both Rick and Cindy in their time of trouble and need. Rick is still in the hospital and will be for, at least, another couple of months. Skin grafts are very painful as we would all expect. Friends back East are already trying to figure out how to modify his system so that, once he does get back in the water, which will be a long time from now, he will be able to film and dive again.
Steve

If there is anything I can do to assist with converting the equipment, let me know. I have a small machine shop in the back yard if you need some metal or plastic parts made. Not the greatest machinist but I work cheap for good causes. :)

Hello all. Cindy and I just wanted to thank all my well wishers for their kind thoughts and positive energy! They make a big difference and greatly help in my recovery. I am doing well and working hard so I can return to the water as soon as possible.

I also promise to release the official accident report as soon as I can.

Best to all and good diving!
Rick

Great the hear you are doing better, hope you can get back in the water soon.

I'm reading this late in the game, and I've been following the discussions about Oxygen for about 15 screen pages now. I work in the chemical industry and do research using pure oxygen on a regular basis. Oxygen is not flammable itself, but it supports combustion. Also, oxidation can generate heat. Gasoline and other substances have flammability limits (upper and lower) as well as autoignition temperatures. However, these carefully measured temperatures are for atmospheric pressures and concentrations. Increasing the O2 pressure or concentration can greatly lower the autoignition point. Increased surface area can also decrease the autoignition point, as a pipe of high-ignition-point liquid will autoignite if it leaks and soaks a high-surface-area insulation surround the pipeline. A cigarette will certainly ignite gasoline vapors, but as mentioned earlier it is dependent on the gas/air mixture being withing the flammable limits, and higher O2 pressures or concentrations will skew these limits. The friction created by gas flow through a small space at high velocity, as well as that created by a tight valve stem, can generate enough heat to ignite a minute amount of flammable material (organic or metallic) under conditions of high O2 pressure, or even under just increased O2 concentration. That is the origin of the "O2 Clean" principal. I have to clean equipment using rigorous procedures before introducing pure Oxygen under pressure, and as part of my training I have studied accident reports where you would never have believed there was a potential for a problem. Another ignition source (in the presence of fuel) not mentioned is static electricity, which is easier to generate that many would expect, it can be created simply by gas or liquid flow.

From the descriptions of the broken cylinder, including those of the burned inside walls, I would suspect that a minute amount of fuel was present inside the cylinder - either a touch of organic material or metallic powder. This could have been created by inadequate back-flow prevention when connecting to other equipment, slight impurities in the last fill, or deterioration in the valve seals. Hey, maybe even the (extruded out the side) valve-neck O-ring itself: how many folks wear clean-room gloves when installing a new O-ring? Skin oils are enough to start a fire in high-pressure O2, perhaps there was just enough to be below the auto-ignition point (for the condtions) until the shock of the falling cylinder. Once the flame starts, there would be an immediate pressure rise that would burst the tank. Burst disks on tanks are designed for simple over-pressure situations, not rapid pressure-rise situations resulting from combustion. When sizing reliefs for my reactor systems, any remote possibility of ignition requires huge (> 1 inch diameter) rupture disks to relieve the rapid pressure increase. Even then, we often are required to run the experiments inside a concrete and steel blast enclosure with walls 2 ft thick.

In summary, Oxygen does not burn but supports oxidation, and fire is simply rapid oxidation - think of rusting as a very slow fire (it does generate heat). There are many variables that can shift the flammability points any material (including increased surface area: dust), and increased O2 partial pressure (concentration and/or pressure) greatly reduce the ignition temperature, even to a point where it will auto-ignite. Myth-busters is simply entertainment and their testing is not all-inclusive; they are limited by budgets and entertainment values, and they are handicapped by a huge lack of real scientific knowledge, they rely more on anecdotal stories and a bit of light web-surfing for their test theories. It is interesting, though, to see how the anonymity of the Internet has made experts of so many regardless of education AND real-world experience. I work with Ph.D's that lack real world experience and make foolish decisions, but if we work together (example: I share my practical experiences and concerns and they calculate pressure-rise rates and maximums) then we can work safely. Too many folks figure that if they got away with something once it is safe every time, and this is not the case. Think of your buddies that overpressure their low-pressure tanks to 4000+ psi for cave diving or other extended range work!

By the way, it DOES sound like the cylinder was not secured and this allowed it to fall over when bumped or disturbed. A perfectly normal occurance that we all do, standing cylinders because "I know it's there and won't bump it". That's great until we do bump it. This sounds like a very unfortunate accident, but also a great learning experience for us all. I have great sympathy for the injured party and his family, a serious accident is heartbreaking, but a preventable accident is doubly disheartening. I find myself often donning safety equipment that I am SURE I don't need, just because it would be embarassing to have to explain how I got injured if something unexpected happened.

Prayers go out to this couple.

The manufacture date, if I'm making it out correctly, is 4/88 which depending on the manufacturer and size could mean it is indeed a 6351 AL alloy. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/346966-my-cylinder-made-bad-alloy-aka-al6351.html

I froze the vid and took a screen picture. Perhaps someone with better eyes and more knowledge about al tanks can examine this and add comments; but I think I see is a damaged valve and tank neck interface, a blown o-ring, and some charred substance around the DIN port-perhaps a plastic dust cover that became fuel for the fire.

Couv

Al_tank.jpg

I think you've hit the nail on the head. It looks like there's a screw-in plastic dust cover there. Here's an explanation: the tank fell over and the valve opened. I've had this happen often that the valve gets knocked and opens. Suddenly pressure built up in the cavity to the sealing dust cover and with adiabatic heating ignited the plastic which was exposed to hot pressurized oxygen.

There was a similar accident with this kind of explanation in San Diego several years ago. A diver turned on the valve of an oxygen cylinder with a titanium regulator attached and the thing exploded burning him. The only difference is the material here is plastic and in the San Diego accident it was titanium.

Adam

For those not familiar with adiabatic heating, when you rapidly compress a gas the temperature rises, which is why a bicycle pump gets hot when you inflate a tire to high pressure, and why our scuba tanks come out warm when filled, or the mixture in a diesel cylinder ignites when compressed. The opposite is adiabatic cooling which is responsible for freezing of regulators in cold water during high gas flows.

Last edited:
Rick and Cindy are making good progress. Rick now has a carbon fiber arm and is working getting back into diving shape. You can check out the latest on the get well site at Get Well Rick. They are having a benefit called Give Rick a Hand on October 2nd (GRAH Fundraiser » Get Well Rick) to help offset all the medical bills and other expenses. The fundraiser has some very cool stuff donated; check it out!

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom