O2 tank explosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the latest news report I just received. I also should say that my wife is a welder and in over 20 years of work she has never seen or heard of an 02 tank exploding when one was accidently knocked over. All I know is Rick is one of the best shooters in the field and an incredibly wonderful guy. He and Cindy couldn't be any nicer than they already are.
Steve

Published: 06:53 AM, Thu Jan 06, 2011
Videographer's condition remains critical after scuba tank blast

By James Halpin
Staff writer

Cindy Burnham was in her pajamas Monday night, leaning over the sink to brush her teeth, when she heard the garage door starting to raise up - her husband was home from a Carolina Hurricanes game.

The next thing she knew she had been thrown to the floor several feet back, with shards of glass from the shattered mirror in her face. Burnham, a photographer at The Fayetteville Observer, grabbed her dog and ran to the door to the garage, trying to find her husband, Rick Allen.

"The door was blown out," Burnham said. "I could see my husband on fire inside the garage."

Allen called for her to call 911 and get a fire extinguisher. She grabbed one a few feet away, then struggled to get the pin out and extinguish the flames burning on Allen's back.

"There was blood coming out of my face, and one eye I couldn't see out of because of all of the blood on my face," Burnham said.

She then called medics on a cell phone, gave them the address and helped guide them to the home on Partridge Court, she said.

Burnham was discharged from Cape Fear Valley Medical Center after receiving between 10 to 12 stitches to her face for her injuries. But Allen, who is also a photojournalist, remained in critical condition on Wednesday at UNC Hospitals' Jaycee Burn Center.

One of Allen's hands was severed in the blast, and his left arm was amputated to the elbow as a result, Burnham said. He has burns over 20 percent of his body - his legs, back and left side - and though he remained on a ventilator for smoke inhalation, he was alert, could see and squeeze with his right hand, she said.

"He's hanging in there. He's going to be OK," Burnham said. "It's going to be a long haul, but he's a real positive guy. I've been able to make some jokes, and I can tell when he squeezes my hand that he's laughing, so he's a strong dude."

What caused the explosion remains a mystery. Burnham said the couple, who own an underwater video and photography production business, keep a lot of dive equipment in the garage. The tank that burst contained compressed oxygen and was used in safety stops to help clear out residual nitrogen and prevent the bends, she said.

Allen told responders he bumped into the tank and knocked it over, causing the explosion that destroyed the wall separating the garage from the house. It wasn't clear what material the tank was made of.

"We're been diving for 25, 30 years, and we're real careful about all that stuff," Burnham said. "It's just a freak thing."

Authorities were continuing their investigation into the cause of the explosion. Meanwhile, the couple is focusing on moving forward, and Burnham said they have been overwhelmed by all the support they've gotten.

"I keep telling Rick about all the folks who are asking about him, and it brightens him," she said. "It makes him feel good. It's amazing how many people we know that are helping out."

It seems to me that once a blast of pressurized O2 blew out, it could have hit a pilot
light on the furnace or hot water heater, also.

I also should say that my wife is a welder and in over 20 years of work she has never seen or heard of an 02 tank exploding when one was accidently knocked over.
I never have. We always put the cap on securely when hauling them to other locations, but never considered them much of a risk.
"We're been diving for 25, 30 years, and we're real careful about all that stuff," Burnham said. "It's just a freak thing."
I was a little surprised that the tank was able to fall, not being secured, but figured these folks knew what they were doing.

Glad to hear he is in good spirits anyway.

This did not happen in Raliegh, NC, and is being covered on the thread below. There has already been a lot of discussion there.

SeaRat

Prayers go out to this couple.

The manufacture date, if I'm making it out correctly, is 4/88 which depending on the manufacturer and size could mean it is indeed a 6351 AL alloy. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/346966-my-cylinder-made-bad-alloy-aka-al6351.html

I froze the vid and took a screen picture. Perhaps someone with better eyes and more knowledge about al tanks can examine this and add comments; but I think I see is a damaged valve and tank neck interface, a blown o-ring, and some charred substance around the DIN port-perhaps a plastic dust cover that became fuel for the fire.

Couv

Al_tank.jpg

Last edited:
ParishFire,

In your professional work, ever heard of an O2 cylinder exploding like this?

couv,

I don't think we can do forensics via this kind of photo (which seems a bit gross to me too). This tank needs to be examined in detail by a qualified person familiar with metallurgy and accident investigation techniques. Rather than doing this over this forum, I would suggest that some measures be initiated which leads to an in-depth investigation and examination of this cylinder. Maybe after that we can get a report here.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom