Ocean City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew Marko was on this trip but didn't know you were. Should be a good weekend. Are your doing the UnderH2O cleanup Sat? If so we'll talk then.

sorry Bob on the Blue Fathoms Saturday.....glad to hear you ar joining us.....was looking for something t o do if we get back in early or for Monday before we leave.... if there is nothing...will survive

I haven't hit the Wash or the Manhattan this year, but both are fun wrecks. From what I remember, the Wash has more structure left although both are torn up and (to me at least) neither looks like a ship anymore.

Yeah, both are pretty much debris fields. But I think the Manhattan had more "structure" to it than the Wash. BUT, the Wash had more bugs on it and huge (now out of season) flounder. If ya want some real sh#t viz, have 'em take you to the Fenwick Shoals. We came in there after the Manattan and had about 6" viz.

Doh!!!! I am hoping for some great fall viz and new sites to look at......I will keep my fingers crossed.....

Hijacking a thread, I have a question for those in the know......

How does the diving in Ocean City/Delaware/VA Beach compare to dives further north (e.g. NY, NJ)? I'm told that further north the dives are generally cold, have poor visibility, and can be dark. And then there are the waves and currents.......

I see no reason for Ocean City to be any different. Is that the case, or is there something about the geography that makes conditions different?

KoAT

Let ya know after next weekend when I get to dive offshore OCMd

Hijacking a thread, I have a question for those in the know......

How does the diving in Ocean City/Delaware/VA Beach compare to dives further north (e.g. NY, NJ)? I'm told that further north the dives are generally cold, have poor visibility, and can be dark. And then there are the waves and currents.......

I see no reason for Ocean City to be any different. Is that the case, or is there something about the geography that makes conditions different?

KoAT
Since I live and dive in north jersey (and love the diving here, btw), I've only had 2 different trips to offshore DE diving. One thing I've noticed was that in DE you have to go out about 16mi to even get to 60fsw. In northern Jersey, you only need to go out about 3-4mi to get to that depth. On the Manhattan, I think it was 18mi + offshore and the depth was about 80fsw +/-. If ya go 18mi offshore in northern Jersey, you're hitting 130fsw+. Regarding the temp., I think it's about the same. Regarding the viz, I actually think the viz is generally better in DE. It's still dark on the bottom, but the water seemed to be clearer and both times I was in DE, I'm guessing in the 30' viz area (except the Shoals). That's compared to the generally 15'-20' viz in Jersey. I like DE diving, but it takes me 4+hrs to get down there, compared to <1hr to get to the boat here in Jersey. That's my 2c and YMMV

Anyway, I'm sure that you 2 will have a some great dives and like it down there. Make sure that ya put the report up on the wreckvalley site. Have fun and dive safe.

OK Maryland guys and others in the know.....I have been told we are doing the San Gil...theres a surprise...and the Screw Wreck and the Gordon Cook.... cant find anything on the last two...can someone tell me about them?

OK Maryland guys and others in the know.....I have been told we are doing the San Gil...theres a surprise...and the Screw Wreck and the Gordon Cook.... cant find anything on the last two...can someone tell me about them?

Saying I'm in the know is definetly a stretch but here goes....

The Gordon C. Cooke was built in 1918 as the steamship Lake Louise. In 1927 she was turned into a barge by removing the machinery and razing superstructure. In 1947 while carrying a cargo of gypsum rock the barge either foundered or was involved in a collision with another barge. Anyway, the wreck rests in 90-100 feet of water on a sandy bottom. I don't remember being impressed with this wreck. All I really remember is a bunch of relatively flat hull plates that come up a few feet off the bottom. If you really really wanted to you could craw under them when I was there last year. I don't think I saw the bow section because there are gaps in the wreckage and the bow is supposed to be more impressive. A few large flounder and a couple of lobster did come up.

The Screw Wreck is an unidentified freighter that probably sank around 1918. It is sometimes referred to as the Lightship Wreck because a lightship used to occasionally anchor over it. The wreck sits upside down on a sandy bottom in 75 feet of water. Starting at the stern the propellor is impressive and there is a small space that can be easily penetrated, but there is nothing to see inside. Then there are some relatively flat hull plates. The engine machinery and shaft are next. If you look carefully around the engine room debris, another propellor is sitting on the wreckage. This propellor did not come from the Screw Wreck and was propably dropped by the lightship, or so I have been told. Then there are two large boilers sitting side by side. To their left is another small boiler. Some more flat hull plates are next. When you get to the end of the hull plates there is sand for about 75 feet before reaching the bow. The bow section is small and not particularly picturesque. It is not oriented in line with the rest of the ship. If you want to see it, I'd recommend running a reel. Overall the wreck is relatively small, you can see everything on one dive, but I really like it. Make sure to keep on the lookout for lobster hiding under the hull plates.

If the weather cooperates I will be down in OC late Friday night for dives on Saturday and Sunday. PM me if you'd like to get together Saturday evening to exchange stories.

thank you....that was great....dont know if we will be back i time saturday to get together...I understand we will be wandering a bit but if I am will try...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom