Ocean master beta alloy titanium knife questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knifedude

Reaction score
Ok I will probabaly never go on this site again to ask any more stupid questions like this one. I want to purchase a ocean master beta alloy titanium dive knife. I have never gone scuba diving and from the looks of things I never will. I want to purchase one of those knifes because they say on the websites selling those knifes that thay are the strongest knife blades ever. All I want one of those knifes if for its strength and ability to get really sharp and stay really sharp, I sharpen knifes it's like a hobbie. So have any of you purchased the $80+ ocean master knifes please let me know before I spend $80+ on a peice of crap. Thank you.

Afraid all I can say is Ocean Master has quality products, albeit pricey. Titanium holds an edge better because it doesn't corrode. Ttanium is also brittle. From what I hear you can put a sharper edge on some of the steel blades but you'll be sharpening it more frequently because of the corrosion. Put and edge, maybe not quite as sharp, on titanium and it'll stay till you dull it.

My knife is a smaller sized titanium. I seldon use it for anything, it's 3 years old, it's never been sharpened and it's still sharp as ever.

knifedude:
Ok I will probabaly never go on this site again to ask any more stupid questions like this one. I want to purchase a ocean master beta alloy titanium dive knife. I have never gone scuba diving and from the looks of things I never will. I want to purchase one of those knifes because they say on the websites selling those knifes that thay are the strongest knife blades ever. All I want one of those knifes if for its strength and ability to get really sharp and stay really sharp, I sharpen knifes it's like a hobbie. So have any of you purchased the $80+ ocean master knifes please let me know before I spend $80+ on a peice of crap. Thank you.

A lot of money just for a "hobby" of sharpening knives. I think there would be more of a challenge in sharpening a butter knife..and you can use it to pry with.
If you want the knife for its strength then you don't want a titanium knife.

I've been a knife collector for many years. If you are looking for something that you can hone to an extremely fine edge, Titanium blades are NOT for you. You can't use a typical whetstone to hone Titanium. It's too hard. They will will keep their factory (most likely laser-cut) edges nicely, they are very light-weight, corrosion resistant, etc., but sharp isn't one of the selling points of Titanium blades.

If you want a nice knife to sharpen, get a steel blade (not high-carbon steel - for one, it's harder, but it is corrosive, so they are usually coaded with teflon or some other such protective material).

I like a Ti knife not for great sharpness but for light weight, and corrosion resistance.

For what you want to do, this knife: http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FK230&referer=sb will be much better. It is sharper out of the box, and will take and hold a edge great. It's almost as rust proof as TI, but much better to resharpen. This is a Japanese cut blade - great knife.

Since you are asking on a diving board let me first give you the diving answer.

Ocean Master Titanium 5" blunt tip double edged dive knife.

My wife and I bought two of them about a year and a half ago. Yes, it does maintain an edge very well, but for most practical diving purpuses it is useless. As a spearfishing knife it is too wide for a killing thrust. As a utility knife, the double edge makes it dangerous. For prying , the titanium is too brittle. The knife is also too big to put comfortably anywhere, but your calf. The sheath is difficult to work with its double locking mechanism, for gloved hands. As a combat knife (as in fighting a person, not pissing off a shark) it is on the small side, but usable.

if you are still interested, I would be happy to sell you mine at half that price.

I do use the Ocean master titanium folding knife as a backup, which I do like. I also carry this knife as an EMT.

renpirate:
As a utility knife, the double edge makes it dangerous

They also make a tanto version (one sided, stronger as a stabbing knife).

I have the Ocean Master Titanium Blunt Tip knife, its not the sharpest knife ever but it gets the job done, cutting through most types of rope and fishing lines. (i say most because i haven't tried them all)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom