Ocean Signal RescueME PLB1 CHEAP...!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I took another look at the canister listed by Dandy Don and they even mentioned the dual function of PLB/marine radio and show one in their canister. So looks like I have my solution until they come up with the cheap dual function and reliable option. The PLB and canister linked by DandyDon. And the Cobra or similar linked by James. Thanks guys.
So you are thinking of carrying a PLB and a radio both inside a canister, then juggling those and a breached canister on the surface? :confused:

@DandyDon any idea if I will need the smaller or larger canister?
HDVSEATEK Internal Dimensions: Large 70mm x 150mm; Small 70mm x 130mm.
That's 2-3/4" wide x 5.1" long for the small, 5.9" for the large

Its also possible that a simple plastic pocket that @Dan_T linked would be plenty adequate for the radio since it does have some degree of water resistance.
Yeah, right. :D Ziplocks are nice on the surface, I carry my iphone in one when I hike, camp, etc. but I wouldn't trust even those at depth.

So you are thinking of carrying a PLB and a radio both inside a canister, then juggling those and a breached canister on the surface? :confused:
Not together. The PLB out of the country trips and just the radio for the dive trips to Florida so I can contact the dive boat without triggering a distress and rescue alert. :wink:

HDVSEATEK Internal Dimensions: Large 70mm x 150mm; Small 70mm x 130mm.
That's 2-3/4" wide x 5.1" long for the small, 5.9" for the large

Yeah, right. :D Ziplocks are nice on the surface, I carry my iphone in one when I hike, camp, etc. but I wouldn't trust even those at depth.

Don, the Kona is made out of a thick plastic material with beefy vice-grip top seal, unlike those ziplock bag ones that are rated for 60' deep. I bought one of those thin plastic ziplock bag one ($2.95 from eBay), compare it with Kona pouch & have similar thought that ziplock bag one is probably only good for snorkeling. So hold your horses until I test this Kona pouch. I plan to put a folded paper towel inside the pouch, put the pouch in my BCD pocket, take it down to 100'+ deep & check whether the paper towel is wet by the time I get back on the boat.

Based on what I learnt from physics, even if some water leak into the pouch during an hour dive, as long as the pouch is not completely flooded with seawater, leaving some air still trapped inside the pouch, due to the trapped air inside the pouch being compressible, the pressure inside the pouch would not reach 22.4 psig (50' water column equivalent pressure, which is the water column pressure rating for the PLB1), then the PLB1 would still be OK. Of course, a complete dry inside pouch is preferable. We'll see in a month, when I go diving & testing the pouch.

Here is the $2.95, thin-plastic ziplock-bag pouch, waterproof rated for 20m (60'), that I was referring to. in my earlier post, above. I plan to take it down to 100'+ with the Kona pouch & see if it implodes at that depth.

IMG_4435.JPG

Last edited:
The 60% chance of rain has turned out to be a beautiful day so West Marine Is now a stop on the way home tomorrow trip. Bass Pro Shops is just down the road too.

I think the Light Monkey canister could fit both plus a beer and a hoagie. :D

They put a loop of line inside attached to the lid to keep everything secure.
I can't seem to find a LM canister link. And we need to change the beer and hoagie to a margarita with chips and salsa. :p

So hold your horses until I test this Kona pouch. I plan to put a folded paper towel inside the pouch, put the pouch in my BCD pocket, take it down to 100'+ deep & check whether the paper towel is wet by the time I get back on the boat.
I'll be interested in the outcome and good for you for testing it. I still like a deeper rating tho, for deeper dives as well as other pressures that happen.

Not together. The PLB out of the country trips and just the radio for the dive trips to Florida so I can contact the dive boat without triggering a distress and rescue alert. :wink:
So you'll ignore the risk of needing to call for rescue in an emergency? At best, those little radios may work for a few miles if the boat listens.

I'll be interested in the outcome and good for you for testing it. I still like a deeper rating tho, for deeper dives as well as other pressures that happen.

So you'll ignore the risk of needing to call for rescue in an emergency? At best, those little radios may work for a few miles if the boat listens.
No Don. Have you done any South Florida drift dives? I am speaking of a very specific dive. We typically do 7 to 9 days of diving off the same boat with a very competent captain that tracks multiple dive groups in the water. And he would be aware of the radio and know to listen. Honestly the risk is very low even without a radio or PLB. This is a well traveled site that is just a few miles off coast. The only real risk is if the surface current is truely ripping or its a whitout situation when we surface. In all honesty I am probably really over thinking this. (And the fact that my life partner swims south when he is told to swim north).

Back
Top Bottom