Oceanic GEO eating batteries!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same problem here, the Geo eats batteries!!! Last battery lasted one dive and a few days. Definitelty not the battery as I´ve used different brands from different vendors. I changed battery at least 8 times in 6 months. Still in warranty, I´ll try and send it back to Oceanic...

any new update ... mine just started flashing chnge batt, i got only 3 dives on it and it is just a little month old... hope oceanic got solution for this particular problem since it seems a common problem on this model.

We have seen the same problem with multiple Oceanic unit and when we used "Panasonic" or "
Sony" batteries it was solved. Looks like some brands didn't hold the same voltage full time and the PDC understood that as a Low Battery.

thanks for the reply...mine comes with its original battery "Sony" twice now I saw the chg batt. flashing last one was maybe 2hrs ago. I tried the backlight and its still ok, i even set the alarm and test it, I got the alarm sound as well as flashing light ... which makes me think/confuse more and i'm getting skeptical about this GEO. Once I reach home I will try to measure the battery voltage to see if it really need replacing....but its really quite a surprise. It just completed 30days and 3 dives only since i first got it.

Guys here is the contact # for Oceanic. 800-435-3483 Ext 761, talk to Ron about service or upgrade. Very nice guy.

Same issue here -- got an Oceanic Geo on Jan 1, haven't actually dove with it yet, battery died a week ago. Replaced with a Radio Shack battery, that lasted 2 days -- literally!!! No diving, no backlight use. Just ordered a Sony battery to see what that will do -- I'll keep you posted.

I still have not yet solve my problem...but Mark Lane of oceanic reply to my inquiry the same day i sent the message to them and even sent me RAN for GEO. Since I'm here in ME i'm waiting for my LDS staff incharge of the Oceanic DC to return from vacation to see what their respond would be on my problem. I would prefer to solve the problem locally since it will cost me 60 USD just simply sending the GEO to US...in case the issue will not be solve locally i have the option to send it back to Oceanic... it seems they have a very responsible after sales support though not quite sure about their dealers.

I am thinking of just putting my geo in the bed side drawer and getting an Atom 2.0. I wonder if Oceanic has fixed the problem, it only seems to be the Geo of all the Oceanic computers.

The original battery that came with Geo lasted along time. Its when I started using generic batteries is when the constant change battery appeared. I read on another post that a rep from Oceanic suggest using only Sony batteries. Other batteries don't have the same pulse rate needed for the Geo. So far so good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom