Oceanic ProPlus X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was surprised to see that Oceanic has quietly released it's new AI console computer the ProPlus X PROPLUS X The computer had been announced at DEMA 2015.

The PPX is an interesting addition to the Oceanic computer lineup, looks to be competitive with the Atomic Cobalt 2. The list price of $1,450 for the PPX is $100 more than that for the Cobalt 2. Though it appears on the Oceanic website and on LeisurePro, it does not appear to be shipping yet. The owner's manual is available on the Oceanic website.

Oceanic recently discontinued the Veo 3 and Veo 1, leaving only the Veo 2 in that line. I wonder if Oceanic will have additional new computer offerings coming up. By the way, LeisurePro has the Veo 3 wrist computer on sale for $275 or a console with SPG for $$270, very good prices

Saw the ProPlus X mentioned on Facebook in an ad, did a Google search to learn more, then saw this thread.

Anybody had a chance to use one of these things, especially anyone who's used an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2 for comparison?

Leisure Pro has it on backorder; from their page:

"The new Pro-Plus X is as versatile underwater as it is topside. Upon starting your dive, the Pro-Plus X will simply display your current depth, how long you can stay there and cylinder pressure. For additional functions simply press the button to see more information. Is this information important to you on a full time basis? Leave it there. Just want to check it and then move on to another display? You can do that too. It's up to you and your new Pro-Plus X."

A customizable interface display would be useful to some. The 99 dive on-unit log book is cool. Up to 60 hours on a charge, rechargeable Li ion battery. Wonder if it's built-in/non-user replaceable?

Big question is, what advantages does this bring to the table over a Cobalt 2?

Richard.

I would also like some more info on this computer. Thinking of upgrading from my aeris atoms ai.

I have an Atomic Cobalt computer. Over the 5 years that my wife and I have had the Cobalts, mine has been replaced by Atomic/Huish 5 times and my wifes' has been replaced 3 times. We appreciate the replacements, but that doesn't do us any good when we're on a liveaboard, half way around the world. I am REALLY looking forward to this new computer and the RELIABILITY that Oceanic/Palegic has become known for. If this computer is reliable, then it will be a huge step over the Cobalt.
Unfortunately, when magazines and testers test dive computers, they do not test or consider 'reliability'. I love my Cobalt - when it works. But, it seems that either my, or my wife's Cobalts have some sort of problem on every trip we go on. I'm very excited to see the new PPx!

Kroorda:

I hear you. On the other hand, Atomic has had the time to work out the bugs from their now 2nd generation computer (hardly reassuring given how often you two've had to get yours replaced). My Cobalt 1 died out-of-warranty and Atomic provided me a refurb Cobalt 2 without charge when they had no obligation, and so far it's been fine (snappier and the digital compass is actually useable on the 2!).

I'll be interested to hear how the ProPlus x works out. The website expects it to ship this month.

Richard.

Richard, Atomic/Huish has replaced my wife's Cobalt with a Cobalt 2 and the Cobalt 2 is now in for repair for the second time. When she was on the surface, it still showed that she was at depth, which (in turn) kept it from showing that she was on the surface doing a surface interval. Additionally, she had to completely abort a number of dives on our last trip because air suddenly starting pouring out the quick disconnect connector. I/we put a new O-ring on the small shaft in the quick-disconnect, but that didn't help. Additionally, small bubbles of air were leaking out of the entire length of the Kevlar high-pressure air hose.
My Cobalt 1 worked pretty well on the last trip, except... :) ... I'd be swimming along at 50 or 60 feet and, without making an ascent to 25 or 30 feet (which normally triggers the warning to take a Safety Stop), the computer would start showing 'SAFETY STOP". I've spoken to Ron (the designer) as well as others, and they find it hard to believe this (indicating a Safety Stop while still at depth) is happening. My feeling is that, 'if it makes this mis-calculation, then I wonder if it calculating other things correctly. Needless to say, after having my computer in 5 times (and it was replaced a few times) and my wife's in 3 times, and replaced once, my wife's and my confidence level in the Cobalts is extremely low. And, yes, we now (for the first time in our 30+ year diving history) carry a backup computer. But, unfortunately, a backup computer does no good when air is pouring out of the connector on the Cobalt. Unfortunately, that requires that the dive be aborted.

I see that the ProPlus X computers are priced so that Oceanic can afford to give people 20% off when then trade-in their old computer. This would be a good deal for someone who is trading in a $400 computer. However, it's not so great for someone who would be trading in a $1200 Cobalt. Nevertheless, our confidence level is so low in the Cobalts' that we just might take the loss.

I just stumbled across this thread, and I want to clarify for anyone coming across it that I did look in detail at the dive log profiles where Koorda was concerned about the safety stop appearing, and in fact the Cobalt firmware was working as designed. The Cobalt “resets” the safety stop counter if you go below 40’ after completing a safety stop, but if you move up and down after triggering a safety stop alert but not completing the stop it will only alert once- though the countdown timer display will still be there. This is to keep divers following shallow up and down profiles from being driven crazy with repeated alerts. The dives in question all showed momentary ascents to a depth that would trigger a safety stop to appear, then descents to deeper depths. These just happened to be profiles that were irregular and had ascents fairly early in a profile that continued for a while at a deeper depth. Hopefully his Cobalt problems have been sorted out, that was way too many problems.

As to the original post, with Oceanic now owned by Huish Outdoors (also Atomic’s parent company) there might be some progress on the product. :wink:

Ron

deleted, so as to not add confusion.

Ron

Last edited:
UPDATE: I have been in communication with Ron Russell (regarding my Cobalt computer). The symptom I have experienced is clearly NOT a symptom that has been experienced with any other Cobalt, and is not something that others' should be concerned with. I would have preferred to remove my above post regarding Safety Stop indications. However, removing a previous post is easier said than done. Therefore, I ask that you disregard the information I wrote regarding false Safety Stop indications.

MORE: I have compared the Cobalt to the new Oceanic ProPlusX. The ProPlusX is an impressive computer and is a worthy competitor. It provides all necessary information for all recreational divers (as does the Cobalt). I often lead group diving trips; consisting of 10 or more divers. As all of us know, when you have a number of divers, there always seems to be at least one person who needs/asks for assistance in setting their computer. However, it is doubtful that you will ever encounter a Cobalt owner who can not set their computer. It is menu driven, and the User simply needs to select what he/she wants to set. The Cobalt is so easy to set that one hardly needs to read the Owners Manual (although you should read it :) ) However, the Oceanic ProPlusX is not menu driven and one must read the Manual, learn, and remember the buttons and the steps necessary to get to the setting you want to set/change. Simply put, the Cobalt is much more User Friendly. For that reason, the Cobalt would remain to be my choice.

Back
Top Bottom