Oceanic regulator last used and serviced in 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Oceanic regulator was bought in 2008. The last time I used my Oceanic regulator was 2019, and it was serviced in 2019 before the last dive trip. Now, I would like to get back into diving. Can I just get the regulator serviced and use it again, or should I buy a new one?
How about the availability of spare parts for Oceanic regulators (which was a big problem around 2017 /2018)?
Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Liberty

You should be able to just get it serviced. No need to get a new one.

Edit to add: My daughter's regulator was purchased in 2003 or so. Still in great shape, it's actually older than she is. Between the time you purchased the reg and now, Oceanic was sold. Oceanic is now part of Huish. My regs are Zeagle, and also part of Huish. I've had no trouble getting them serviced.

Age in and of itself isn't a reason to buy a new reg. Some of the regs I dive are over 60 years old! If it's in good shape, inspect and or service it and dive it.

Respectfully,

James

Hello,
Oceanic is a good brand, just have it serviced as needed. Any good Dive Store should be able to service a regulator that old. I agree with James that age is not always the issue. The larger issue is parts availability as regulators get older. I have Poseidon X-Streams that I Dive that are about 18 years old.

Let's see... (one of) my regulator(s) was built in the 1990's and uses a second from the 1970's, and both seconds are based on a design from the 50's. Yep it's a Poseidon Cyklon, and those seconds are still sold today and are two way interchangeable.

So as long as one got parts - good to go.

Servicing the Oceanic would be a completely unnecessary error

Back
Top Bottom