Oceanic regulator - questions about maintenance and repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I have two questions:
1. The cover of the second stage of the regulator is broken. The purge button still works, but the second stage leaks a little bit (on the surface). Is it possible to exchange the cover or do I have to buy a new second stage?
2. I have a DIN regulator with INT Adapter. I was told, that the dust cap is not waterproof, thus I shouldn´t submerge the first stage in water when washing the regulator.
Liveaboard crew dropped the first stage in water shortly, before I could prevent it (with Adapter and dust cap in place). The divemaster said, it was okay even to leave the first stage submerged in water. Who is right?
I will get the regulator serviced and repaired usually before the next dive trip end of August. Would it be advisable to service it earlier?
Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Liberty

1. Probably just change the cover but it is difficult to say without seeing a picture of what you mean.

2. If you have the INT/Yoke adapter on, the issue will be the adapter seal on the DIN threads not the dust cap in the INT adapter. It will probably leak. What you should have done was to immediately put the regulator first stage on a tank with gas and pressed the purge button for a while from all second stages and BC to get the high pressure in the first stage to push any water out. If this happened in fresh clean water, it won't be as much of a problem as if it were salt/dirty water.

I'd check the filter at the air inlet of the first stage to see if there is any discoloration on the filter, if there is, then you have an issue and you will need to take it to your service technician. He may only have to replace the filter and nothing else or may have do a complete overhaul if the water made it to the inside of the first stage and cause any issues. The other concern will be water getting into the High pressure hose for the pressure gauge or AI dive computer from the first stage if you have it. I'd remove all hoses from the first stage and hang them with the port end facing straight down to drain water out (and hoping it wasn't salt/dirty water that may have residuals inside the hose).

I'd have an experienced service technician do an inspection in addition to test /evaluation to take care of all of this potential mess. It probably is, and I hope, that it isn't a big deal after all and you have nothing to worry about but it is prudent to be extra careful :)

You can easily get a new purge cover
From your Oceanic dealer. Otherwise, what Burnam said.

1. As noted the purge cover can be replaced if the part is still made. Many mfg. make "color" kits so you can match your regulator to your fins. Ofter purge covers are interchangeable with in a brand with only graphic being different.

2. Few regulator caps truly make a water tight seal. That is if left long enough water will probably seep in. But if properly in place for 10 minutes in a rinse tank you are fine. The caps of INT (Yoke) are probably more water tight than those for DIN. That is because the INT are held in place by pressure whereas many of DIN ones are just a pressure fit cap. Though some screw on which then requires it to be snug.

Last edited:
Few regulator caps truly make a water tight seal. That is if left long enough water will probably seep in. But if properly in place for 10 minutes in a rinse tank you are fine. The caps of IINT (Yoke) are probably more water tight than those for DIN. That is because the INT are held in place by pressure whereas many of DIN ones are just a pressure fit cap. Though some screw on which then requires it to be snug.

He has a DIN regulator but used a INT/Yoke adapter on it to be able to use his regulator with the tanks he was using.

Hi,
I have two questions:
1. The cover of the second stage of the regulator is broken. The purge button still works, but the second stage leaks a little bit (on the surface). Is it possible to exchange the cover or do I have to buy a new second stage?
Without a picture or actually trying the reg it hard to say if it is actually safe to dive. Possibly the purge could 'stick' open... You should only need a new cover. But how did it get broken, a tank dropped on it? The body may have cracks.
2. I have a DIN regulator with INT Adapter. I was told, that the dust cap is not waterproof, thus I shouldn´t submerge the first stage in water when washing the regulator.
Liveaboard crew dropped the first stage in water shortly, before I could prevent it (with Adapter and dust cap in place). The divemaster said, it was okay even to leave the first stage submerged in water. Who is right?
Assuming the Int adaptor was still on securely and that the dust cap was properly fitted to the adaptor I would say it is okay. The int adaptor has not leaked air when on the tank?
Check the filter for decolourisation but you may find that it was already tarnished.

He has a DIN regulator but used a INT/Yoke adapter on it to be able to use his regulator with the tanks he was using.

And your point is what?? A DIN to INT/Yoke Adapter is going to be water tight. If not the OP would have had issues before and during the dive with gas leaking. Though it could have loosened when the reg was removed - which does happened but that does not seem to be the issue. Further, as the OP noted: the reg sent into the rinse tank with adapter and dust cap in place. So the real issue is the cap water tight. Thus my reply.

And your point is what?? A DIN to INT/Yoke Adapter is going to be water tight. If not the OP would have had issues before and during the dive with gas leaking. Though it could have loosened when the reg was removed - which does happened but that does not seem to be the issue. Further, as the OP noted: the reg sent into the rinse tank with adapter and dust cap in place. So the real issue is the cap water tight. Thus my reply.

No, the opposite, the Adapter will make it easier for water to leak in the first stage even if it has a tight dust cap in place. The leakage will come through the threads where the adapter is screwed on the DIN connection on the regulator especially if it is even slightly loose.

Which 2nd stage is it? I have a Delta 4 from 2009 that the purge cover literally crumbled apart while diving in Bonaire. I was able to buy replacement covers online (though they needed a slight adjustment to fit my older model Delta4)

What you should have done was to immediately put the regulator first stage on a tank with gas and pressed the purge button for a while from all second stages and BC to get the high pressure in the first stage to push any water out.

Also remember to remove the SPG/integrated air transponder (HP) hose first, before you pressurize the 1st stage, to keep water from being blown into the SPG/transponder (not a good thing). Briefly pressurize to remove water from 1st stage. Then, ideally plug the HP port re-pressurize 1st stage and do the LP purges as stated, or in you only have the SPG/transponder hose, replace it and purge the LPs as stated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom