oceanic versa pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dafunkyv

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have been thinking of getting a computer and it has come down to either a Suunto Vyper or the Oceanic Versa Pro. It seems like the scubaboard is really in love with the Vyper judging from the searches I have done.

I like the display on the Versa Pro better than the Vyper. I have no idea which is a better built or more reliable computer. I have learned that the Vyper is more conservative from this board.

Now my question is: as a recreational diver is it really such a big difference that I should get the Vyper? The Versa Pro is a little cheaper and the display seems very nice. I just have heard little about it on this board, and what I have heard has been mixed. But then I wonder if maybe it is still a good computer since even the less conservative Versa Pro should be reasonably safe -- though maybe a little less desirable for some very technical applications.

What do you think? Will I go wrong if I just get the Versa Pro or is the Suunto that much better?

Thanks,
Sneha

works great for me. Love the large display; older eyes need BIG numbers! Easy to use, good manual, buttons big enough for gloves.
Carry my old Suunto air only in my divebag - still works fine after 4 years

Both of these computers are good and I have recomended both types to customers with no problems, or warrenty claims.

I was looking at going over to the versa pro myself because of the larger display which is somewhat customizable.

The other factor that may now sway you towards the Oceanic unit is that the price of the download cable recently dropped significantly and it is available in USB . The Suunto requires an adapter and some computer skills to get it to work with USB.

If the button size on the vyper is an issue that can be addressed by having your LDS order you a Vytec boot with the vyper, which makes the buttons easier to push.

Hope this helps.

Dear all,

Thanks so much for your input -- I'm feeling that as soon as I can scrape together the $$ I'll go with the Versa Pro. I really dig the display and it's cheaper too.

Thanks again for your input!

Happy Diving,
Sneha

I like the Versa Pro, a lot! Like Capt Hook, I like the large numbers, which may even be appreciated by someone your age. (You don't give your age, but you look much younger than I am?) My corrective lens make it easy to see any computer, but reading one under water, perhaps in poor viz or a night dive, can be a challenge. I also appreciate the Use Options, Audible Alarms, and user friendliness.

And Oceanic is a good company to deal with if I have problems. I've called them many times with questions, and they've been very helpful.

I don't know if it comes in Air only, but get Nitrox compatible! You'll be glad you did...

don

One of my favourite computers for non technical diving is the Oceanic XTC 100 which has the largest numbers I have found, on any computer. I use several sunnto computers also. I would go with the Oceanic. I think they have better sized numbers and a good screen layout. If you are worried about a conservative loading model in a computer for recreational diving, I believe you are pushing your limits too hard.

I got the Versa last year and logged nearly 40 dives with it...nothing but good things to say about it. If you spare the extra couple of bucks..get the detachable model. It sure makes life easier when it comes to filling in your logs or setting up the various functions...i.e. air vs nitrox

vr

JC

Hate to be the single negative voice, especially since this is my first post in this forum, but...

I bought the Versa Pro for all the reasons mentioned. It lasted 24 dives before failing on me in forty feet of water. It was replaced under warrenty without question. But the replacement only lasted 13 dives before an identical failure. I'm waiting to hear back from Oceanic on this one. So right now I'm a little bit cautious about this computer. Maybe I'm just lucky?

The Oceanic/Aeris line of computers definitely has a higher failure/return rate than average. Batteries also tend to go dead without warning.

Several independent tests of the Oceanic/Aeris computers show that they allow longer no-stop times than most other recreational dive computers, but will incur unusually long deco stop obligations once the no-stop times are exceeded.

When using a computer that gives longer than average no-stop times the user must back off due to factors which may cause additional risk such as reverse profiles and multi-day diving. Other brands of dive computers may have built in compensation for this.

GLBIRCH, sorry you've had failures, but then - I have, too. One Oceanic, one Aeris. The good news is that Oceanic seems to be great about replacing them. I've heard great things about their handling of out of warranty computers.

LEADWEIGHT, I thought that Oceanics used the same NDLs as Padi? I live at 3300 feet up, so I can't check this until I get to Cozumel in a few weeks, but that was my understanding...?

thanks, don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom