Ocearch - Great White Lies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems to me Ficher is trying to do something to raise awareness. So what do you do for sharks besides post on SB? What qualifactions do you have in there field?

Just wondering about the timing - another fatal shark/surfer weekend and this pops up. We actually have a handle on it and dont need Ocearch.

Seems to me Ficher is trying to do something to raise awareness. So what do you do for sharks besides post on SB? What qualifactions do you have in there field?

What qualifications does Fisher have as a marine biologist? Admittedly he is gaining some through this work, but as a marine biologist I do not think "the end justifies the means." Personally I think he is trying to raise awareness about HIM.

What qualifications does Fisher have as a marine biologist? Admittedly he is gaining some through this work, but as a marine biologist I do not think "the end justifies the means." Personally I think he is trying to raise awareness about HIM.

He's not there as a marine biologist. He's there as a professional fisherman to catch sharks for a marine biologist to examine. From a ship he owns by the way. Who said he was a marine biologist?

---------- Post added November 26th, 2013 at 08:59 PM ----------

Just wondering about the timing - another fatal shark/surfer weekend and this pops up. We actually have a handle on it and dont need Ocearch.

What about the sharks? The more we know the better we can protect them. Or is that wrong? We have a 18' GW that summers here in NE Cape Cod. She swims the same route all summer sometimes in 6fsw or a few hundreds yards from a beach on the route. We know this because of Ocearch and the tags they attach to the sharks. I have a hard time understanding what the problem(s) is with Ocearch?

He's not there as a marine biologist. He's there as a professional fisherman to catch sharks for a marine biologist to examine. From a ship he owns by the way. Who said he was a marine biologist?

---------- Post added November 26th, 2013 at 08:59 PM ----------

What about the sharks? The more we know the better we can protect them. Or is that wrong? We have a 18' GW that summers here in NE Cape Cod. She swims the same route all summer sometimes in 6fsw or a few hundreds yards from a beach on the route. We know this because of Ocearch and the tags they attach to the sharks. I have a hard time understanding what the problem(s) is with Ocearch?

AfterDark: If you have read my other posts on Ocearch, you would have noticed that I'm not against tagging/research. I'm “anti-non-professional behavior” and I'm "anti-unnecessary harm”. Yes, the more we know about the sharks, the better but we need to employ methods that are less invasive and cause minimal stress to the animal. FYI- after so many years of so-called research program that Ocearch has operated, there has yet to be any invaluable data that I've known with their outdated and invasive methods. Have you? Pray share.

MCSI develops new methods for tagging adult white sharks: http://www.marinecsi.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DSC1684b.jpg

Scientists at MCSI have been working to improve methods for SPOT tagging adult great white sharks. New methods developed, tested and implemented by MCSI involve a device to prevent gut hooking, soft fishing gear to prevent skin abrasions and constant forward movement to fully irrigate the gills. Sharks tagged in this manner, including the largest white shark to ever be SPOT tagged, were far more vigorous upon release than our previous method that lifted the sharks from the water. We strive to constantly improve our methods to do what is best for the sharks and the scientific community.

This method is not ideal (still using SPOT tag) but at least this new method does not employ landing sharks by gut hooking and hauling, which IMHO will stressed the animal.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2013 at 12:17 PM ----------

Wingy: I know that SA has started using shark safe barrier to protect both marine life and people. At least that is better than shark nets used previously. Not sure if are these safe shark barrier being used in WA?
News - Shark barrier is effective and green

Last edited:
AfterDark: If you have read my other posts on Ocearch, you would have noticed that I'm not against tagging/research. I'm “anti-non-professional behavior” and I'm "anti-unnecessary harm”. Yes, the more we know about the sharks, the better but we need to employ methods that are less invasive and cause minimal stress to the animal. FYI- after so many years of so-called research program that Ocearch has operated, there has yet to be any invaluable data that I've known with their outdated and invasive methods. Have you? Pray share.

MCSI develops new methods for tagging adult white sharks: http://www.marinecsi.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DSC1684b.jpg

Scientists at MCSI have been working to improve methods for SPOT tagging adult great white sharks. New methods developed, tested and implemented by MCSI involve a device to prevent gut hooking, soft fishing gear to prevent skin abrasions and constant forward movement to fully irrigate the gills. Sharks tagged in this manner, including the largest white shark to ever be SPOT tagged, were far more vigorous upon release than our previous method that lifted the sharks from the water. We strive to constantly improve our methods to do what is best for the sharks and the scientific community.

This method is not ideal (still using SPOT tag) but at least this new method does not employ landing sharks by gut hooking and hauling, which IMHO will stressed the animal.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2013 at 12:17 PM ----------

Wingy: I know that SA has started using shark safe barrier to protect both marine life and people. At least that is better than shark nets used previously. Not sure if are these safe shark barrier being used in WA?
News - Shark barrier is effective and green

All that said isn’t the combo of professional fisherman and marine biologist the best for catching and tagging fish? I think the 1st step in tagging is catching? There is harpooning but that takes another skill set not as easily found as hook and line fishing.
Seems that there is some kind of disagreement going on within the marine biologist community? Doesn’t Ficher have qualified MB’s or are they actors? Apparently some MB approve or don’t disapprove of lifting the animal out of the water. You know this harms them? Or it just takes a little longer to recover? Is that harmful long term?

All that said isn’t the combo of professional fisherman and marine biologist the best for catching and tagging fish? I think the 1st step in tagging is catching? There is harpooning but that takes another skill set not as easily found as hook and line fishing.
Seems that there is some kind of disagreement going on within the marine biologist community? Doesn’t Ficher have qualified MB’s or are they actors? Apparently some MB approve or don’t disapprove of lifting the animal out of the water. You know this harms them? Or it just takes a little longer to recover? Is that harmful long term?

Unfortunately, there are confirmed long-term damages and even known fatality of Ocearch's tagged sharks. I have posted previously some edited videos showing evidence of damages but they cannot be shared publicy now due to NATGeo involvement. Try to google damaged dorsal fins and you might see a couple pics.

Sharing with you something really AWESOME if you have not see it: Freedivers tagging Great White Sharks (TWP) - YouTube
Well, research takes a long time to accomplish and we have to use the most ethical methods possible, IMHO.

Unfortunately, there are confirmed long-term damages and even known fatality of Ocearch's tagged sharks. I have posted previously some edited videos showing evidence of damages but they cannot be shared publicy now due to NATGeo involvement. Try to google damaged dorsal fins and you might see a couple pics.

Sharing with you something really AWESOME if you have not see it: Freedivers tagging Great White Sharks (TWP) - YouTube
Well, research takes a long time to accomplish and we have to use the most ethical methods possible, IMHO.

I agree. How many samples of deep sea life are brought to the surface dead in order to study them? A few doral fins or a shark death now and then in the long view isn't that bad. I recall when dynamite was used to collect fish samples. We've come a long way baby!

I agree. How many samples of deep sea life are brought to the surface dead in order to study them? A few doral fins or a shark death now and then in the long view isn't that bad. I recall when dynamite was used to collect fish samples. We've come a long way baby!

AfterDark: The GWS are decreasing in numbers and are rare due to years of being hunted by man for fins and teeth, and often as a trophy for sport fishing. They are also occasionally caught as by-catch by commercial fisheries and can also become entangled in nets that protect beaches. So, I do not think that we should be taking more of them in the name of research, but that’s just my opinion. I respect your opinion but doesn’t mean I can agree :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom