October diving in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire is always one of my favourites because of the great shore diving, but it's also highly recommended for October because it's south of the hurricane belt.

Larry, it's funny I had never heard of Saba before until yesterday. I came across it online and did some research on it. It looks amazing, my husband even started looking at cottages to rent. It's really good to hear from someone who has actually been there. I did see the Sea and Learn but did not get a chance to look into it. Being a small island generally things are more expensive. How are the prices for food, transportation and of course diving? What is the best means of transportation on the island? What about getting from the airport to the island, what is the cost? It's good to know about the water temp in October, that's always a concern, I hate being cold when diving. I will take a look at the link you sent. The flight from San Antonio to St. Maarten is pretty reasonable so it's definitely on our list! Thanks Linda

Linda,

Saba is a small, friendly island where a very acceptable and safe means of getting around is to hitchhike. Except for the occasional taxi ride, that's how we get around when we are there -- we once got a ride with one of Saba's elected commissioners! Food tends to be fairly expensive in the grocery stores, but staying in a cottage lets you save by doing your own cooking. The restaurants are also not cheap, although the difference between what you would pay there and in the U.S. is not as great as you would imagine. We've found that the nicer the restaurant there, the smaller the price differential seems to be.

Getting to Saba from St Maarten costs about $150 by air (WinAir) but sometimes you can book straight through (airport code SAB) and save some money. I've had good luck with Vayama.com for that. You can also take a ferry, which is cheaper, but you have to get from the airport to the dock, which is an added expense and hassle. As far as dive cost and all other information regarding diving, check with the folks at Sea Saba (Sea Saba Dive Center - Saba Dutch Caribbean - "Dive the Sea Saba Difference" - Dive Saba!). They are a complete dive operation and can take care of all your dive arrangements, as well as all your above-water needs. Tell them Larry from Flamboyant Cottage recommended them.

Larry

I would pick Grand Turk over Saba, having been to both. A puddle jump from Provo but a world apart. Osprey Beach is a great place to stay. You do not need a car as nearly everything is an easy walk away. A beach with wild horses coming by once in a while. Diving 5-10 min from shore. We head back there next Feb. Saba was nice enough and liked the diving. I just prefer a beach community over a mountain one when going for a dive trip. Grand Turk is like stepping back in time, except for the days the cruise ships arrive but they are only there a few hours then gone again. The cruise ships arrive a fair distance away and many of the cruisers stay in the area built for them at that end of the island. Saba is steep and narrow. Its an interesting location and glad we went, just not what I would pick again.

Avoid the cruise ships and stay on provo!! much more relaxed!! (better diving too!!)

Another nice option if you have a reasonable flight to St Maarten is Dominica, (not to be confused with the DR). Both Dominica and Saba require an island hop on small aircraft, although Saba you can also take the ferry.

Dive resorts, Saba, SeaSaba, Dominica, CastleComfort

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom