Octopus and long hoses questions???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL, well, the belt clip is original equipment on the 1968 Voit Snugpack. I think the USD version had triple snaps there. It is useful when doing a doff and don, you can loosen the strap--not remove it--thus making the doff and don easier. Also, I have a severly torn up left shoulder, motorcycles and long distance swimming, anterior dislocation and some nerve damage, it needs the clasp to get in and out more easily.

Cyclon, no, thanks on that, uh, those are like sucking through a staw and are not very reliable, no parts and they are foreign made and they blow bubbles all in your face. They are to complicated and gimmicky, unlike the simple, reliable, robust DA. Why would anyone fool with a single hose regulator anyways, they are for girls. If you want a side exhaust quit fooling with that sissy Cyclon and get yourself a Tekna T2100! It is like sticking a rocket in your mouth.

The Sportsways spg, lol, that is from circa 1964, it is the real deal. Note the vertical reading face. Not only that but I had the founder of Sportsways lay a blessing upon it!

Hog, schmog, to much equipment, to complicated, who needs a back mounted poodle jacket anyways?

N

Nemrod:
LOL, well, the belt clip is original equipment on the 1968 Voit Snugpack. I think the USD version had triple snaps there. It is useful when doing a doff and don, you can loosen the strap--not remove it--thus making the doff and don easier. Also, I have a severly torn up left shoulder, motorcycles and long distance swimming, anterior dislocation and some nerve damage, it needs the clasp to get in and out more easily.

Shhhhhhhhhhhh.... Don't tell anyone but my Seapro At-pac has the same buckle in the same place and I use it the same way you do. :wink:

I don't know about a tekna Reg but the Poseidon 300 DELIVERS! There ain't no sucking involved. Lay on the purge valve too heavy and that sucker is leaving your mouth!

If you're diving doubles, and don't use a long hose, how do you set up your hoses and regulators for solo diving? If air sharing isn't a concern, what would you do?

The DIR setup has the backup on roughly a 2-foot hose from your left post hanging around your neck.. that's pretty handy for any diving style. What do you do with the other one? From your right post, it seems like it would be awkward to route it anywhere without having the hose bending and pulling on the reg..

DeepBound:
If you're diving doubles, and don't use a long hose, how do you set up your hoses and regulators for solo diving? If air sharing isn't a concern, what would you do?

The DIR setup has the backup on roughly a 2-foot hose from your left post hanging around your neck.. that's pretty handy for any diving style. What do you do with the other one? From your right post, it seems like it would be awkward to route it anywhere without having the hose bending and pulling on the reg..

Use the same lenth hose, come off the right post and come around the right to your mouth, just like the other side only opposite, right? I must be missing something...

dugout:
Use the same lenth hose, come off the right post and come around the right to your mouth, just like the other side only opposite, right? I must be missing something...
Well, the hose comes into the reg from the right... so going from the right post around to your left would make the reg upside down...

Ah.... Okay, yes, I see your point. My regs, Poseidon Cyklons, don't have a left, right, top or bottom. Hm....

DeepBound:
Well, the hose comes into the reg from the right... so going from the right post around to your left would make the reg upside down...
Other than invertable regs like the posiedon there are also convertable regs like the Seaquest XR2, the Scubapro R190, the Aqualung XLC and I'm sure there are others that will allow you to switch the hose to the opposite side of the reg body. You can have a left hand reg on the left post and a right hand reg on the right post. I have also used this method in the past.

On independent doubles I have run the left reg around the left--I use Tekna T2100 so they also do not have a left or right or upside down. However, generally, in the odd chance that I think I need that level of redundancy I generally run two 40 inch hoses down under my right arm one bungeed. My other configuration that uses two regulators is my much prefered and more reliable double hose and in that case the second reg is on a 40 inch hose that tucks under my arm and bungees under my neck.
Generally I don't do all this double this and double that because it simply is not needed. I dive 90% of my dives (no deco) using the original Navy Tables and a single tank (or my double 50s or my double 40s or my single Faber 85 pumped up or my soon to be mini triple rig) with a buddy bottle added below 60 to 80 feet and an appropriate stage if I think I may flirt with deco. Isolation doubles just are not needed most of the time, I am not cave diving. I don't have any single one configuration, I grab what I think suits the particular dive and my mood and that is what it iis. Lighter, simpler, streamlined and optimal are my goals and is better for me than all this double up wear a dive shop into the water stuff. The more stuff you got the more you got to break and loose (and purchase and maintain). The double hoses units I prefer are far more reliable due to being made from metal and of a simpler design than todays complex and tempermental, failure prone plastic regulators. N

Nemrod:
....streamlined and optimal are my goals and is better for me than all this double up wear a dive shop into the water stuff. The more stuff you got the more you got to break and loose (and purchase and maintain)....
N

Me too. Thats why I've trimmed my kit down to the twin hp-119s; wreck reel & finger spool; 100lb lift bag and 6 foot surface marker; primary and backup computer; big honkin dive knife, EMT shears and line cutter; spare mask; and maybe a light or 2 depending on the agenda. Throw in 40ft3 O2 bottle and backup tables for deco dives.

Tom, you sound trimmed up--lol!

"big honkin dive knife"

Now we are talking, it ain't a tool, hades man, it is a weapon!

LOL.
N

Back
Top Bottom