Octopus with blue rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red_infinity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was on a night dive looking for lobsters last night, when I ran into an octopus with two blue rings on it. I don't have a picture, but the blue rings were 1/4 of an inch below each of its eyes. I've never seen an octopus like that. Does anyone know the different species of octopus here in SoCal? I never really figured out if the octopi I see have any common names, but seeing this one sparked my curiosity.

That'll be a blue ringed octopus, and it's venom can kill you - so don't touch it.. They are very cool looking though...

I was on a night dive looking for lobsters last night, when I ran into an octopus with two blue rings on it. I don't have a picture, but the blue rings were 1/4 of an inch below each of its eyes. I've never seen an octopus like that. Does anyone know the different species of octopus here in SoCal? I never really figured out if the octopi I see have any common names, but seeing this one sparked my curiosity.

Octopus bimaculatus/Octopus bimaculoides, aka the two spot octopus... its one of our local species. And not venomous........................... lol

octopus_two-spot.jpg

octopus_two-spot_ocelli.jpg

(pics from Divebums.com)

Blue-ringed octopus is not found of the California Coast, two-spot on the other hand is.

Spot Octo... not dangerous (some people keep 'em for pets)

bimac-ollie.jpg

blue%20ring%20octopus.jpg
00971536.jpg

It is questionable that the famed blue ringed octopus the "Octopus Maculosus" and it's closely related species the "Octopus Lunulatus" was encounterd as they are native to and generally found in and around Australia.

The o. maculosus is a small creature about 8 inch span and are always identified by the two blue rings. Its bite is very venomous and certainly capable of and has on numerous occasions produced death in humans.

It is my considered opinion that you did not encounter one,but rather the local species..

sdm

Is there another octopus with blue rings endemic to the Atlantic ocean? I saw a little one with flashing blue rings at LBTS two or three years ago and have been wondering about it since then. Maybe it had outgrown someones aquarium?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom