Octopus with blue rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is apparent that there is a need for some reference material for all you quasi marine bios. May I suggest the following things known as books;

1) California Fish and game--many many books and pamphlets on marine life ideification

2) Dangerous Marine Animals-Bruce Halstead, 1959 (Hard cover dust jacket)

3) Poisonous Marine animals -Findlay Russell,1965

4) Dangerous Sea Creatures-Thomas Helm, 1976

5) Dangerous Marine Animals, second edition, Bruce Halstead, 1980 (pictorial cover)

6) Posionous and Dangerous Marine Animals of the world, Bruce Halstead, 1965, Vol one 994 pages, Vol 2 &3 (combimed issue) 1070 pages. (Three volumes 2064 -8-1/2 X 11 pages) Very rare and very valuable. The absolute bible of things swimming in the world's ocean that sing, punchure and bite.

sdm

It is apparent that there is a need for some reference material for all you quasi marine bios. May I suggest the following things known as books;

1) California Fish and game--many many books and pamphlets on marine life ideification

5) Dangerous Marine Animals, second edition, Bruce Halstead, 1980 (pictorial cover)

6) Posionous and Dangerous Marine Animals of the world, Bruce Halstead, 1965, Vol one 994 pages, Vol 2 &3 (combimed issue) 1070 pages. (Three volumes 2064 -8-1/2 X 11 pages) Very rare and very valuable. The absolute bible of things swimming in the world's ocean that sing, punchure and bite.

sdm
I'm not sure if this post refers to mine or not, but the Western Pacific location that I mentioned is quite clearly documented in:
Coral Reef Animals of the Indo-Pacific. Terrence M. Gossliner, David W. Behrens, Gary C. Williams 1996
I'm not guessing about it's presence in Okinawa either - I've seen it there. It's also clearly warned about in many hotels, along with cone shells, yellow banded sea snakes, scorpion..stone..and lion fish and striped catfish.
Some of these are mentioned in the Wiki entry.

I'm not a marine biologist, but I know fairly well what I might encounter where i dive. I dive quite regularly in Okinawa! :wink:

Now....I really wouldn't think that this octopus could be found in Californian waters...even Baha. However - it's clear from the spread of Lionfish that there is a huge species movement occurring in our seas these days. I've seen Lionfish in the Japan sea this year. This is new. Really new.

Given stuff like that, in a way it's hard to be definitive these days.

Post was for general information...Thanks for the other reference.

It has been recognixed for at least 40 perhaps longer years that the ocean going ships often have hull hitch-hikers and deposit marine life in the form of adults or fry from through out the world in their ports of call. Some are compatible with local conditions and survive, others survive until there is a climate change.

As I recall the first local documentation was way back in the 1950s when a long spined tropical sea urchin was discovered by divers at the Long Beach breakwater, aka Port of Los Angeles. I certainly did not discover it but found several while diving on the Clarke Gable "Bounty." (Them were tha daz!)

It is important to have divers in the water but also knowledgeable divers with good Mark 1 eyeballs who can recognize and idenify marine life

So yes it could, has and will happen.

Thanks again for the reference,

sdm

sdm

Oh I have tons of reference material as it is (including that CDFG book) - some books I've even had since high school. I know what a blue ringed octopus is and I was sure that it wasn't one. I'm fairly knowledgeable about local species identification for fish and inverts, and many species of rockfish, but octopi is just one of those organisms that no one seems to talk about around here.

As for species outside of California, I never really bothered to study them other than the more commonly discussed ones. I figure that obtaining an expertise on local waters will be better for me anyway, as I will probably be living here all my life.

I have just one book from high school, it's called Probably More Than You Want To Know About The Fishes of the Pacific Coast by Milton Love, a researcher here at UCSB. I saw it on Amazon.com one day and it is an awesome guide to many of the socal fishes. Then here in college I got a Peterson Field Guide to Pacific Coast Fishes and another book by Milton Love called The Rockfishes of the Northeast Pacific.

Unfortunately I haven't had any invertebrate reference material, mostly never bothered with it because I've learned most of the commonly seen organisms around. Of course there's the endless list of nudi's too, but I don't really care to learn them all. I actually started taking underwater photos/videos, and whenever I see something I've never seen before I always try to identify it, looking at any reference material or looking online. Right now, most of my knowledge is fish, because it's probably gonna be my research emphasis in the future (or at least, it's what I'd like to study). Maybe rockfish specifically.

somebody call me? the bluering octopus is no larger than the size of your fist,commonly found in tidewater pools on the australian coast and the most venomous creature on the planet.

Actually I have just one book from high school, it's called Probably More Than You Want To Know About The Fishes of the Pacific Coast by Milton Love, a researcher here at UCSB. I saw it on Amazon.com one day and it is an awesome guide to many of the socal fishes. Then here in college I got a Peterson Field Guide to Pacific Coast Fishes and another book by Milton Love called The Rockfishes of the Northeast Pacific....

.... Right now, most of my knowledge is fish, because it's probably gonna be my research emphasis in the future (or at least, it's what I'd like to study). Maybe rockfish specifically.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You chose well, Milton Love's book are classic, humerous and very informative. I have them also.

Bio is not a snap major, I send congrats and wish you well in your studies. Hurry and finish... California needs a a lot of good reserchers into the rock fish problem.

sdm

*********** MODERATOR POST ***********

Please stay on the topic.
Octopus with Blue rings​

somebody call me? the bluering octopus is no larger than the size of your fist,commonly found in tidewater pools on the australian coast and the most venomous creature on the planet.

What. Who killed all of the poison arrow tree frogs?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom