Octopus with blue rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought Blue Ringed Octopi were only in the South Pacific not in California.

Is there another octopus with blue rings endemic to the Atlantic ocean? I saw a little one with flashing blue rings at LBTS two or three years ago and have been wondering about it since then. Maybe it had outgrown someones aquarium?

yaiks

Most likely MissyP and Sam Miller got it. The two spot octopus' blue "rings" or false eye spots are not as noticeable under normal daylight, but can pop out with the right lighting (as on a night dive).

I have never been successful at posting pix here but if you go to my photo gallery you will find a two-spot octopus aka Octopus bimaculatus.

As MissyP, Sam Miller, and Dr. Bill have already stated it is a local species and it is common, too.

BKP's photo is a good one! My lighting was screwy that night but you can definitely see its blue spot. Sometimes the spots are less noticable as they are masters of camouflage.

Nice pic! I'm looking forward to my trip there in mid-November and I'm glad it's not poisonous... I see spiny urchins in your pics too, though... :wink:

Blue ring are found in the aquarium trade often. But then some people dump them when they get a close call. They are very poisonous.

That'll be a blue ringed octopus, and it's venom can kill you - so don't touch it.. They are very cool looking though...

As far as I know the blue-ringed octopus you refer to is only found in Pacific ocean near Australia.

You might also find the YouTube video at the following URL interesting.

The blue-ringed octopus

The blue ringed octopus (the venomous one) is also found in Okinawa - it's on their list of dangerous marine life you might encounter in Okinawan waters. It can be found almost anywhere in the Western Pacific area - Indonesia, Philippines, New Guinea and smaller islands.

Back
Top Bottom