• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Off-topic Discussion moved from Diver Missing in the Bahamas thread

Discussion in 'Shark Forum!' started by TampaScuba, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Mike

Mike Great White

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I'd like some of that $1000 too if I could -

Here is a video from a couple of weeks ago from a dive in Belize, those noises 3 or 4 times are me bashing the sharks with my video rig

jdkerner likes this.
  2. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
  3. scorpiofish

scorpiofish Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    While I agree with your point, I would like my $1000 please. Wolf Island, Galapagos. Galapagos sharks. No bait. Close enough to touch. Also, so friends have been bumped by Silkies while bobbing at the surface in the Galapagos. They get curious when they see you bobbing.

I won't even count photos of white tips (not oceanic white tips). You can find them piled up under ledges in Galapagos and Socorros during the day.

Attached Files:

4. Doug Kahle

Doug Kahle Angel Fish

# of Dives:
    I'm betting 5 feet is really closer to 8 to 10 feet, which is not good enough. I need the shark 3 to 5 feet in front of me.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2014 at 11:45 AM ----------

That's interesting. Are they feeding there? What do you think it was attracted to? But, you need to get me close enough for a great pic.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2014 at 11:47 AM ----------

Again, you need to get me close enough to the shark for a great pic. Yeah, the white tips (not OWT's) don't count either, they are like nurse sharks.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2014 at 12:04 PM ----------

I don't think anyone is claiming the shark's behavior is not altered. Of course it's altered. A human simply being in their environment alters their behavior. A shark that "sees" a diver on a reef and then changes its course just had its behavior altered. Spear-fishing alters shark behavior; fishing from a pier, the beach, a boat, or any place else alters their behavior; a boat going overhead alters a shark's behavior; a shark swimming near the surface that encounters the shadow of a plane going overhead just had its behavior altered; and so on and so on.

So, are you against any activity that alters the shark's behavior?

The issue is how is the shark's behavior altered -- in a "detrimental" way?

5. wspalding

wspalding Barracuda

Come dive Jupiter during Lemon shark migration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. reefman

reefman Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    elphinstone reef(southern red sea), that's me snorkeling and the oceanic's third pass, my cressi's on his head. happened the next day on daedulus island as well. ditched those yellow fins upon finishing that trip. can acquire closer captures than that as our entire photo group were all on safety stops below me.

reefman
    key largo

Attached Files:

CamC likes this.
  7. Mike

Mike Great White

That's funny. If they are close enough you have to hit them with your camera rig 3-4 times on the head because they are too close, I think that's close enough for you to get your pictures. Any closer would put you inside them.

---------- Post added July 25th, 2014 at 09:15 AM ----------

The sharks in my video have without any doubts been fed and they are now pain in the asses due to it since they now associate a diver out from the rest of the group away from the reef as someone who is going to feed them. Maybe you'd like it because you could get your pictures, but to others (me) when they come in aggressively to your body and you have to beat them off, it's not fun anymore. That's altered in a detrimental way in my book.

8. Doug Kahle

Doug Kahle Angel Fish

# of Dives:
    I dove it every Saturday, Sunday, and most holidays this past year. There was bait. I would estimate that only 20% to 30% of the Lemons came close enough for a great pic with the bait. Many of them were too shy to get too close. When we fed them all the bait, they stopped coming close.

9. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999

Are you serious? You will pay me $1000 if you get a picture? How far away do you need to be to get a good picture? You decide what is a good picture, so if your focus is off - no payment is made? Lastly, can you freedive or only scuba?

10. Scott from LongIsland

Scott from LongIsland Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    what is wrong with the Galapagos picture again? man, i have never seen anyone alter their stance/argument so much to fit their end goal. selective reasoning at its best.