OFWF Gathering - Kingston August 28/29 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Groundhog246:
I PM'd DivingGal our numbers. But have a question for the group at large. How many of those attending are OW certified divers? Our son wants to go (will be 16 then) but only OW certifed, so 60 foot limit. His mom will buddy him (she's just as happy to keep it shallow, although she is AOW). Are there enough for a boat load of shallower divers? For myself, I'm AOW and quite comfortable on deeper ones, I will be in need of a buddy though.
I already know who my buddy will be. I am comfortable with what everybody else is doing. I will be diving double 100's so I am set either way. It's up to my buddy which way I go as I am just happy to be in the water at the end of the day.

I'm going to wake this thread up again. Had a PM from DivingGal that the boats about full. After the large turnout last year, I'm surprized at the relatively smaller group coming this year. Anyone planning on coming and just shore diving?

Also wondering where the other out of towners are planning on staying. We camped last years get together, but after "splurging" on a motel room when we went to Gilboa in May, I'm heavily leaning on doing so for this trip too. Suggestions on cheap spots are welcome.

Well, sounds like its pretty much full now!! Myself, my wife and my buddy will definitely be in a hotel. Which one - not sure yet but whatever it is, it will be a nice one. As long as it's clean and modern - we'll stay where ever. Last years hotel in Brockville was fine. If anyone else is planning on making hotel resers, let us know and we'll book the same hotel.

Looking forward to seeing those we dove with last year - and looking forward to meeting some new divers!

I plan on getting some fresh water practice in towards the end of July out on Georgian Bay. We'll be the 30ft Wellcraft flying the dive flag around Hope Island!!!

So, anyone interested in doing afternoon dives too? What about night dives? Were always up for MAXIMUM time under!!!!

Thanks one and all who signed up for the charters. It will be a good time for all. I'll be sending out more info about the charter, some suggestions about non-charter diving and a few recommendations for accommodations.

Scuba Duffer:
Well, sounds like its pretty much full now!! Myself, my wife and my buddy will definitely be in a hotel. Which one - not sure yet but whatever it is, it will be a nice one. As long as it's clean and modern - we'll stay where ever. Last years hotel in Brockville was fine. If anyone else is planning on making hotel resers, let us know and we'll book the same hotel.
That's kinda why I posted. I'm not sure how 'nice' you're after. Clean, convenient and cheap are my main criteria. Since I don't expect to spend much time there, except asleep, don;t need much for amenities.

I plan on getting some fresh water practice in towards the end of July out on Georgian Bay. We'll be the 30ft Wellcraft flying the dive flag around Hope Island!!!

So, anyone interested in doing afternoon dives too? What about night dives? Were always up for MAXIMUM time under!!!!
If that's an invite to go do the Marquette, Lottie Wolf, etc., LET'S TALK! We did the two mentioned last labour day off our sail boat and really enjoyed them. We're taking this season off sailing (it's currently in my driveway with the engine pulled, hope to have it back in by the end of next week and out of the driveway and in storage by early July), so will be dependant on others boats and charters. Where do you dock?

Ah Ha!! I remember you now, you mentioned the possiblity of hooking up last year. I only had a little 24 footer then!! We tried and tried and tried to dive in and around Hope island last year but the weather just wouldn't co-operate. We are based on Lake Simcoe so we come out through the Severn - Hence - we are only out that way 3 -4 times each year. We already lost 2 weeks at the beginning of June - had vacation time booked but the Severn was closed due to high water. Oh well - the diving in Mexico was awesome - especially the Cenote's (inland caverns). Last year around Hope and Beckwith, the winds just wouldn't stop howling and made the tie up to the mooring lines a little risky. We just didn't feel comfortable going down below without anyone one board if there are any sort of winds or waves. We actually have some friends lined up to dive with us this time in August so we can leave a team up top while the other is down. We should be out again the first 2 weeks of September and will probably have some room then. We'll talk in Kingston. I'd always be happy to take SB'ers out!!! The 30' makes it good for a party of 4 - lots of room!!

I just bought a spiffy new full colour GPS that has a few of the wrecks around Hope marked. It will be easy as pie to find them this year!!

Groundhog246:
If that's an invite to go do the Marquette, Lottie Wolf, etc., LET'S TALK! We did the two mentioned last labour day off our sail boat and really enjoyed them. We're taking this season off sailing (it's currently in my driveway with the engine pulled, hope to have it back in by the end of next week and out of the driveway and in storage by early July), so will be dependant on others boats and charters. Where do you dock?

Anything on Lake Simcoe (other than the Morrison) to dive on? I understand what you mean about leaving a boat unattended. Among this years projects is a small platform on the bow and a roller to hold a larger Bruce type anchor.

Theres a few big cabin cruisers in Simcoe,and an airplane and sailboat at the bottom of Cooks Bay,and thats about all I know of,,Theres probably lots more at the bottom of Simcoe that havent been found yet,Still looking for the steamboat Enterprise.

simcoediver:
Theres a few big cabin cruisers in Simcoe
Considering the way some of them are driven, it's no surprise and dare I say a good place for them. :eyebrow:

Huh?? Theres an airplane in Cooks Bay?? Where? Any GPS co-ordinates?

All I know of in Simcoe is the Morrison and the Nelson (I think thats the name).

Never dove the Morrrison and have no desire too. The area in front of the beach is just too busy in the summer and I wouldn't dive there anyway considering how many times the beach gets closed due to poor water quality.

We may look for the Nelson in Kempenfelt this year - but I would be hugely interested in an airplane (or anything else) in Cooks Bay. We cruise out of the Lefroy area so we're right on Cooks bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom