Ok, any one use this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's how sidemount was designed to work.
There was a design? How'd I miss that??? My favorite parts about sidemounting are the free for all solutions people come up with. Gone are the sacred cows: everything is being questioned. I think it's healthy for the sport and I find it intellectually challenging and satisfying. Your pic has me thinking and that's a good thing.

There was a design. Quite a rigid one when it was first invented. I'm at work at the moment so can't reference it straight away but it was developed by the CDG in the late 1950s which had quite a rigid training structure at the time.

Before they side mounted OC they were side mounting CCR in the early 1950s.

Just because it's only recently come into the fore doesn't mean it hasn't existed before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2015 at 06:00 PM ----------

However, just to emphasise I don't really believe in rigid diving systems. Just suggesting what works best for me.

Oh, there might be a few people out there who ascribe to or have developed some sort of "design", but the freedom of sidemounting is the big draw for a lot of us.

But the idea started somewhere. It's just been expanded upon. Hence the "was" in my original comment.

5701eba09ed2454f818ab33678fbed8c.jpg

This is a picture from before one of my early dives. Quick run through is search reel upper right arm, compass lower right arm, computer lower left arm, knife upper left arm.

Changed my ways since then and shall post detailed pictures of my current system later tonight. Much better.

It's funny you say you use your arms to pull you through in restrictions, because leaving stuff you need on your arms is the only way you can guarantee to reach your emergency stuff in a restriction. Some dives round here are 12 inch high at highest for over 200m. I wouldn't like to be out of reach of my search reel for that long.

Interesting placement,and I agree keeping some items up high for ease of access,a spool there would become dislodged with several systems I access. I find that gear positioning can be system determined,and what you are doing seems to function quite well for where you are diving

---------- Post added January 23rd, 2015 at 06:11 AM ----------

There was a design? How'd I miss that??? My favorite parts about sidemounting are the free for all solutions people come up with. Gone are the sacred cows: everything is being questioned. I think it's healthy for the sport and I find it intellectually challenging and satisfying. Your pic has me thinking and that's a good thing.

If you follow the evolution of sidemounting in this country you would find that holds very true. Most people are entering sidemounting at the middle of the book,but there is been a lot of evolution that has led to what we are seeing as commercial rigs. The pity is that some of the earlier designs had some features that I think are far better than what we are seeing now

So I got round to taking the pictures of my current set up a few minutes ago.

cff6368b40895108eb1c8660b192ce61.jpg

Lower left arm, compass.

d466516b94771d7a252df25f2b3916e8.jpg

Upper left arm, search reel. I've never noticed it get displaced to be honest but I do now see that is a vulnerability of this. Loss would be difficult as it would have to slide entirely off your arm, but I'll bear in mind displacement.

fba54f1594a1b8a056822589d1b0d8cb.jpg
89b4982140666f50f7e33acf74f767b4.jpg
571b2ef0afee94bdd1cd065ebf369ff6.jpg

Lower right arm, computer and knife with lanyard pre-attached.

5701eba09ed2454f818ab33678fbed8c.jpg

This is a picture from before one of my early dives. Quick run through is search reel upper right arm, compass lower right arm, computer lower left arm, knife upper left arm.

Changed my ways since then and shall post detailed pictures of my current system later tonight. Much better.

It's funny you say you use your arms to pull you through in restrictions, because leaving stuff you need on your arms is the only way you can guarantee to reach your emergency stuff in a restriction. Some dives round here are 12 inch high at highest for over 200m. I wouldn't like to be out of reach of my search reel for that long.

Forgive me, but what emergency would require you to access a spool or reel in a restriction?

Lost line, broken line.

Restrictions can be in one direction.

In the example I quoted above (12 inches high for 600ft) it's approximately 60ft wide. That's called a bedding plane.

Rifts are the other way around, might be 12 inches wide but 60ft high.

Loosing a line in these situations may not be as bad as in a 60x60ft passage, but combine it with the absolute zero visibility prevalent in many of these restrictions and you'll be searching straight for the search reel.

Forgive me, but what emergency would require you to access a spool or reel in a restriction?
I was thinking the very same thing.

So, inspired by the o-ring, but not liking that it's not reusable, I tried the same thing with one of Dive Rite's Hose Clip Retainers...

161.jpg

SafeSpool_1_.jpg

SafeSpool_2_.jpg

SafeSpool_3_.jpg

SafeSpool_4_.jpg

SafeSpool_5_.jpg

It's easy enough to operate with my eyes closed. I'll test it out in the water soon enough and see if I still like it. I didn't like it with the retainer threaded out to in. It kept getting in the way. With it threaded in to out, it naturally swings out of the way of the line when you unclip it. It's easy enough to move if the line ends in a different place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom