OK... I know I have posted before about Rescue Diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Finding my threads is not easy...

I'm trying to find the best place to do my Rescue Diver cert and also keeping my wife happy.

Here are the parameters:

Needs to be a direct flight from Atlanta, preferably on Delta

Wife is not a diver, so a beach entry is needed at the resort. We stayed at Hotel B in Cozumel, and the deep water entry (12'+) was not a favorite for her when I was not with her.

Something more to do than Bonaire (from what I have read).

I would prefer 80 degree water. I also want to do it around February next year. I know that Bahamas and T&C can get colder than that during the winter months. This time frame is not set in stone, though.

I am thinking Grand Cayman, St. Lucia, as well as Cozumel.

Any other locations and operators??

We did our Rescue Cert. in Bermuda, Snorkel Beach with Fantasea Divers. Super fun, plus other things to do on Kings Wharf include tour the fortress, Dolphin Experience, Pirate Ship Restaurant with waterslide, Segway tours, glass blowing and other artists things, big shopping mall, dang chickens wandering about but won't let us pet them. And for the search pattern goal, we had to find the old fortress cannon in the water somewhere not far out from beach.

Bonaire is pretty boring if you are not a diver. Aruba or Curaçao have much more to do.

I know you are not looking at local but the wife and I are doing ours right now at http://www.deepsouthdivers.com/

PM me if you need a name and details

why not do it locally since ther eisn't much actual diving in the rescue diver course and then when you go to the warm salty stuff you can actually dive?
This.
The class can be done over a weekend, no need to travel.

Also came here to say "Do it at home."
It's a weekend of being in the water... but you're not really doing dives. If you just have a ton of free time for the travel and such then go ahead... but I think it's much better to just knock it out at home and might score you more brownie points if you can spend your Caribbean time with the wife instead of rescuing! (Or at least split between fun dives and wife.)

Keep in mind the Rescue class should be challenging both mentally and physically, so if you do it on vacation it'll have an impact on your relaxation time.

I run a 3 day rescue + cpr&firstaid + o2 provider course in sarasota. You really don't do any diving in rescue class other than finding and surfacing an unresponsive diver. Come on down here this summer while the water is warm and the tourists are gone. There's plenty to do in Sarasasota/Bradenton for non divers over a weekend.

Or, after you finish the class, you could invite your wife to be the "Damsel in Diving Distress", and carry her from the water! Worth videotaping, even the part where you sling her over your back to haul her out and practice CPR!

I'm also chiming in to say do it at home. I'll be doing it locally whenever I do mine.

Back
Top Bottom