Ok I'm certified but feel bad about it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok guys,
I did get certified today and I am glad I now have a license to practice my skills and get air fills. I am sure several of you read my post on OW day 1 and know that I had trouble with the mask removal. I know I need to practice this skill until I get comfortable with it and will be doing so. I also know I am not ready to go on a charter or deep dives etc. I won't bash my instructors because I am very grateful to them for thier patience and encouragement. I wouldn't still be interested in diving if they hadn't been. However, after reading some of the replys to the post mentioned above, I am concerned that no one is going to be willing to dive with me at Twin Lakes. I was much more comfortable in the water today and actually had fun. I want to continue diving and get good at it and enjoy myself. For me to continue though I need a dive buddy willing to dive with me and help me continue to grow in this sport.

There's a ton of divers everywhere who would love to go with a newbie like yourself. If you post in the Texas Swamp Divers, I'm sure you'll get offers to dive. Can you go diving with anyone else from you class? Hell, I'd dive with you if it weren't for the fact that I'm quite a few states away from you. Don't give up, you'll find buddies! A good place to start is this very board!

Thanks Neil,
BTW this post is in the Texas Swamp Divers. :11:

gfisher4792:
There's a ton of divers everywhere who would love to go with a newbie like yourself. If you post in the Texas Swamp Divers, I'm sure you'll get offers to dive. Can you go diving with anyone else from you class? Hell, I'd dive with you if it weren't for the fact that I'm quite a few states away from you. Don't give up, you'll find buddies! A good place to start is this very board!

I agree. I often take "newbies" when I dive the Florida reefs.
The only time I ever got into trouble was diving with an "experienced" diver.

Be patient and good luck!

My mother was the same way when it came to being comfortable underwater.

Now that you can, rent some tanks and gear. Goto a pool and sit on the bottom of the pool and practice with a buddy. First in the shallow, then move to the deep end. After you are comfortable, try it with your eyes closed.

It is a good deal if you can find a dive shop that is closed on Sunday. Pick the tanks up on sat afternoon. Practice on Sat and Sun before you have to bring the gear back on Monday.

Worse case with the pool is your buddy does not need to be certified, just someone you trust that can free dive. When I was helping my mother, she was using my regulators and other gear. I would freedive to the bottom, have her practice finding her regulator, get the OK signal, and surface for some air. Then back down to do it again. We did this in 10 feet of water and went through 2 tanks of air before she was ready for the open water. But those 2 tanks were planned into 8 dives or so. This way she also practiced her surfacing technique, dive tables, neutral bouyancy, and entry technique.

Worry not,

Many of us would rather dive with a newly certified diver than one who claims to be a vastly experienced expert. Why?? Because we know you are freshly indoctrinated in the basic skills and believe in the basic safety precautions. Knowing this, introduce yourself (online and in person) to as many divers as you can and be honest about your lack of experience and what you perceive to be your weaknesses and limitations. Anyone who won't dive with you under these circumstances is most probably someone you should avoid diving with anyway, believe me.

Have fun, and you are right that any skill that is uncomfortable should be practiced on every dive until it is one of your easiest and strongest skills.

theskull

Hi, if you come to the DFW/Tyler area, let me know- we'll be glad to try to meet ya and dive with you at Athens, TSP or CSSP. We are still newbies too (I did dive #30 this past weekend). Keep diving, you will become more comfortable with every trip under.

jstuart1:
Ok guys,
I did get certified today and I am glad I now have a license to practice my skills and get air fills. I am sure several of you read my post on OW day 1 and know that I had trouble with the mask removal. I know I need to practice this skill until I get comfortable with it and will be doing so. I also know I am not ready to go on a charter or deep dives etc. I won't bash my instructors because I am very grateful to them for thier patience and encouragement. I wouldn't still be interested in diving if they hadn't been. However, after reading some of the replys to the post mentioned above, I am concerned that no one is going to be willing to dive with me at Twin Lakes. I was much more comfortable in the water today and actually had fun. I want to continue diving and get good at it and enjoy myself. For me to continue though I need a dive buddy willing to dive with me and help me continue to grow in this sport.
Hey Ive been to Twin Lakes once. As soon as I get some time off I am heading back. If I am there I'll dive with you. We were all new once.

Maybe I missed something but why wouldn't someone from Twin Lakes dive with you? New divers are always welcome to dive with us. Unless and until you prove yourself to be a danger to those around you and/or have the attitude that you know it all, which you obviously do NOT, and don't care to learn from experienced divers around you, you're welcome to join us any time.

I'm still not sure what post you're talking about but don't pay attention to responses from anyone who second guesses everything you write. They weren't there, you were. There are alot of knowledgable people here but there's also alot of armchair instructors too.

Come out to the lake, ask for Dee and Beast, and we'll dive with you. I can identify with the mask removal thing. My problem with it was getting water in my nose. Still don't like it!

Small computer problem. :crush:

Congratulations on making it through your OW course. :dazzler1:

My $.02:

Take your time and get comfortable in the water & with your gear. Relax and have fun. There should not be a rush for anything.
BTW I'd have no problem diving with you.
Bob DM #181651

Back
Top Bottom