OK Prowler 13 Angler vs OK Prowler Trident 13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valhalla, SOT is sit on top. It's a molded hull where you're not actually seated
at the bottom of the boat. It has a bottom and a topside which you will sit on.
The seat is recessed a bit to get you down a bit lower than the top.The other
style is a sit inside where you are pretty much seated very close to the bottom of
the kayak.

Valhalla, SOT is sit on top. It's a molded hull where you're not actually seated
at the bottom of the boat. It has a bottom and a topside which you will sit on.
The seat is recessed a bit to get you down a bit lower than the top.The other
style is a sit inside where you are pretty much seated very close to the bottom of
the kayak.

Oops, I missed your response. Thanks! I guess the SOT design allows for greater paddling motion and an advantageous center of gravity. What model has a beverage holder? :D

Speaking of which.. if anybody finds a weightbelt off Kayuba Beach.. it may be mine..
it wasn't strapped on when I flipped it
Hey Jenny, send an e-mail message through Kayuba with a description of it and your contact info. They dive that spot all the time. Goin' out for mini season?

I was thinking about it, but HC doesn't want to go.. .and it really is no big deal to me.. so probably not..

Okey doke. See you at the Gold Coast BBQ?

NOpe to that too.. HC and I have a commitment on Sunday...
(just sent an email to Kayuba, thanks for the suggestion!)

If you are going to spearfish, get the 13' Trident, not the Prowler Angler. The big long skinny hatch in the center, called the "Rod Pod", designed to keep you from losing your fishing rods during a surf entry or exit, also works like a peach for spearguns. Everyone of my guns cost more than the yak, so for spearing or fishing, the Trident is tops. It also has a built in mini-hatch for a DF/FF. Believe it or not, these work well on a yak, and if you hunt for lobster or spear, the FF will enable you to see ledges and structure. Whoever is thinking about using a sit inside for diving is misguided. Reentry into a sit inside is nearly impossible. Sit on Tops are perfect for snorkeling and diving. 13 feet is a good compromise length. For longer paddling distances you will be paddling behind everyone who has a 15'. Speed is directly tied to length. I would shop for a deal - used or new. The best boats for yak diving are: ScupperPro (very fast and the Gold Standard for all others to be compared), the Prowler 13 and 15, the Trident 13 and 15 (the only boat to have if you are a spearo), and the Tarpon 130i and 160i by Wilderness Systems. The new 160i model change seems like it was made for divers with a HUGE tank well, and the Tarpon 16 is the fastest SOT out there. If paddling less than 1/2 mile, the extra speed that length gives you is not a major issue. For those with short boats that never paddle far, they don't know what they are missing so they are unaware of how much faster the longer boats are; but longer boats are pigs to turn so a rudder is a must if you have wind and waves - makes it easier - but you can add one yourself if you are handy, or have it added later. Longer boats are heavier, but that's why they sell carts, and besides divers lost the weight concern the moment they decided to learn to dive - our sport has more "weight" issues than any other recreational pastime. I have a Prowler 15 (bought "like new - used twice" with rudder for $600), a Tarpon 160i, and a Trident 15, new for $800 from a dealer in Nokomis, FL. I would probably buy a ScupperPro if I was going to buy a forth boat, or a Trident 13. When I am paddling and not diving, I always use the Tarpon. When I am diving I use the Trident (has a 500+lb carrying capacity, more than any other yak), when I need rudder I use the Prowler. ScupperPro is really fast, great for freediving and spearing, but not for a big guy and lots of gear. Hope this helps. The dealer over here, "A Silent Sports", gave me better prices than anyone I could find, and I shopped the heck out of everything before I bought. Might be worth a drive over. There is also a mail order close out place that has incredible deals on yaks, but they change. They buy out blemishes and scratched and model close outs, and sell them at extremely good prices, even with the $100 freight charge, but can't think of name right now. Good luck, stay safe, and put a flag on the yak (use a non-dive flag while underway) and change it out when you get in the water.

If you haven't tried a bunch of different boats on the water, then you might want to go do it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom