Ok, So I have to puke underwater. Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got sick while face-down on the surface, and figured it was a good oportunity to test what I had been told. I let 'er fly, through the reg. Then when the urge was satisfied, I took the reg out and swooshed it around to rinse it (exhaling while the reg is removed, yada yada), purged it a couple of times...

No problem.

Yeah, the same goes with coughing, and sneezing, just keep your reg in your mouth....

I learned to hold the reg and mask in place with one hand so you dont knock either off puke through your reg and switch to ur octo till you get your main clear. Dont try to switch and use the octo as the ports arent as big to let it out of your mouth. smaller purts means back up into your mouth till you can spit it out.

Be prepared for the fish to come visit you as you puke.

Scubaaronh, my backup reg is a slightly de-tuned "regular" reg, with a yellow face plate. Not much different than my primary. Maybe you should reconsider your octo since in an emergency you may be breathing off it yourself.

i have to puke quite often underwater. just a bit though, so i don't know what it's like if you have to puke a lot underwater.

don't change anything, just puke and get on with business as if you were just breathing. however if you feel really sick, might be a reason to call the dive.

scuba_frog:
It's not a pretty sight but just vomit. One suggestion I do have is to switch to your octo so you don't have that taste lingering. Then purge your main away from you.

Never had to puke but I always knew about going through the reg. I have to say that the octo thing is a good idea. I think the taste in the mouth alone is bad enough, I wouldn't be able to deal with it in my reg for the rest of the dive.

not saying it's a bad idea to change to the octo.

but when i have to puke i seldom have the time to do that and it would kinda add to the stress of vomitting.

additionally i would want to purge the octo or take a breath first to see it really works before i feed the fish through it.

My favoured method is through the reg as normal , not taking the reg out due to the breathe in reflex shortly following.

Expel hard and forcefully, when done, switch to octo, purge main reg to clear out some gunk and if bored on a stop unscrew main reg and scrape out the gunk - it will require unscrewing and cleaning on land just to remove the rest of lunch/breakfast.

Maybe I wasn't clear. What I meant was if you had to puke, just do it through your regular reg. When you are done, THEN switch to your octo so you can clean the mess out of the fish food filled reg.

Back
Top Bottom