Okay trying this again..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WinDuck

Registered
Reaction score
I have come up for air...did a long SI...and I think I clear on what it is I want to ask.

Traveling to Kauai in November. What DO would you recommend for the North shore and South Shore. I have been suggested, bubbles below, sea sport, fathom five.

Do you have any others you can suggest.

Wow, I did it...

DiveON

I recommend Fathom Five, I find them to be very professional and customer friendly. I have been diving with them (and Ocean Quest before that) for many years. That time of year can sometimes be rough and your diving will likely be on the South Shore (call the shop and discuss this with them before making hotel reservations). The shore dive at Koloa Landing is always a treat (lots of turtles) and the boat dives all over the South Shore are full of interesting critters. I'm sure the dive masters are really tired of taking people to Sheraton Caverns but I really like to go there every year or two. Last year (I believe at Three Fingers) we saw a dragon moray, which is not something you get to see every day.

If you're an experienced diver, I hear the trip to Niihau is well worth it. Bubbles Below has gotten a good reputation for the trips they take care and I believe that Fathom Five also goes there. We're doing this trip the next time we get to Kauai, which hopefully will be very soon (this year we're going to the Big Island).

Great thanks so much....
if you were to rate the dive area's of South Shore Kauai how would you rate them?

from shorediving.com
Lawai Beach
Prince Kuhio Park
Koloa Landing
Shearton Caverns
Poipu Beach Park
Brennecke Beach

I am new to diving, everyone starts from somewhere or restarts in my case, and I want to keep up my skills, so I figure the more I dive the better. Monterey gets really cold so I am looking to go were it is warm whenever possible. Thanks for the information.

DiveON

WinDuck:
Great thanks so much....
if you were to rate the dive area's of South Shore Kauai how would you rate them?

from shorediving.com
Lawai Beach
Prince Kuhio Park
Koloa Landing
Shearton Caverns
Poipu Beach Park
Brennecke Beach

First of all - North Shore Divers IS Sacred Seas, and all the boat dives [as noted earlier] head out from ther South. Tunnels is well worth a visit, so don't take that off your list.

Now - to the South....
Koloa Landing is the primo shore dive spot, excellent entry, lots of good beasts [dragon eel, turtles, cleaning stations, ......]
I've been to Lawai Beach and Poipu Beach Park - neither are set up as nicely for diving. Lawai is OK, you need to work through the surf and the surfers - I found it excellent snorkeling.
Poipu Beach Park is similar, but the surf is right at the shore and strong. it's right next to the Sheraton and the public is sort of crowded off. I expect once you get through the sunbathers and surfers - It'd be OK.

Great...and yes I really am going to Kauai. Trying to catch as much sun as I can, because Monterey even with all its aquatic life is sure darn cold. Actually some say that it is better to dive in the winter time in Monterey because there isn't much difference between air temp and water temp.

North shore - Sacred Seas
Boat dives, and tunnel.

South shore - Fathom Five
shore dives, Koloa Landing and Sheraton...

Well that should fill up a week. Thanks for the info....

DiveON

WinDuck:
North shore - Sacred Seas
Boat dives, and tunnel.

South shore - Fathom Five
shore dives, Koloa Landing and Sheraton...

Well that should fill up a week. Thanks for the info....

DiveON

Some minor corrections:
Tunnels and Koloa Landing are shore dives, with Tunnels located far to the North, past Hanalei and Koloa Landing is located in the Central South, between Poipu and Lawai.
Sacred Seas specializes in Shore Dives and does both sites [and I'm sure most of the other operators do also, to a lesser extent]

Sheraton Caverns can be either a boat or shore dive, but as it's a significant surface swim to get there - I prefer the boat! Another good boat dive site is Hale Ohana; lots of turtles! - Pretty much anywhere they take you will be good
Boat Dive Operators: [as you noted] Fathom Five, Mana Divers, Bubbles Below, SeaSports... I used Mana Divers, but I've heard good stuff about all of them.

Back
Top Bottom