Old deco mix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abowie

Reaction score
Both my stage cylinders have been full with EAN60 since December 2003 when they didn't get used after a dive was called off. I plan to use them in 3 weeks.

Reanalysing them today both have dropped a bit of pressure (about 20 bar but it's probably 15*C colder today too) but one has also decreased the O2 concentration from 60.4% to 58.2% (same analyser). The other one is EXACTLY the same.

Is there a GOOD reason why I still shouldn't use the one where the O2 has dropped? I can't see why O2 should preferentially leak out of a cylinder which suggests that oxidation of SOMETHING may be the cause.

abowie:
Both my stage cylinders have been full with EAN60 since December 2003 when they didn't get used after a dive was called off. I plan to use them in 3 weeks.

Reanalysing them today both have dropped a bit of pressure (about 20 bar but it's probably 15*C colder today too) but one has also decreased the O2 concentration from 60.4% to 58.2% (same analyser). The other one is EXACTLY the same.

Is there a GOOD reason why I still shouldn't use the one where the O2 has dropped? I can't see why O2 should preferentially leak out of a cylinder which suggests that oxidation of SOMETHING may be the cause.

Steel cylinders? Metal uses up O2 when it corrodes (oxydizes)
I would dump it and refill. I know a guy who got seriously nauseated after breathing 2 year old air off a steel 72.
He won't do that again.

cheers,

I'd get the gas changed. You also would be very close to needing a tank inspection and probably a pressure test.

icediver:
Shaking the cylinder and reanalysing may get you a different result. I have seen where o2 has settled in a tank.
Really? Is that why there are tornadoes, so the O2 gets mixed up in our atmosphere? :06:
I don't think there is any scientific support for that theory.

cheers,

icediver:
Shaking the cylinder and reanalysing may get you a different result. I have seen where o2 has settled in a tank.
Given Dalton's law of partial pressures I find it hard to imagine O2 settling at 120bar (60% x 200bar pp)!
Over 2% loss of O2 is a awful lot of O2. Which means serious oxidation.
Let's see if I remember how to do the calculation.
I assumed 7litres at 200bar since you didn't specify.
So 200 x 60.4 =120.8bar before
200 x 58.2 = 116.4bar after.
Loss of 4.4bar O2pp.
n=PV/RT
So n= (4.4 x 7)/(0.083145 x 293) = 1.264289 mols
assuming 20C = 293K
Then at 32g / mol we have lost over 40g of O2. (= 1.43oz)
If your measurement is right that's a lot of corrosion.

Get your cylinder checked. :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom