Old Dogs up to New Tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finnatic

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I start our OW class next Tuesday. I am 47 and he is 50. We are both in great shape...not overweight and workout regularly. My husband is on blood pressure medication, but I don't take any meds. Any comments, concerns regarding older divers just starting out?

Finnatic once bubbled...
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I start our OW class next Tuesday. I am 47 and he is 50. We are both in great shape...not overweight and workout regularly. My husband is on blood pressure medication, but I don't take any meds. Any comments, concerns regarding older divers just starting out?
Have fun. I didn't get certified until after I retired and had the time to do several trips a year. There are lots of older divers out there enjoying themselves.

Some agencies consider being 50 or over a "medical condition" that requires "fit to dive" form being filled out by a doctor. You should call your instructor and avoid a surprise.

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for the reply. The instructor has already given us the forms to take to our doctor. I went yesterday for my physical and was approved to dive. I am kind of concerned about my husband passing because he is on blood pressure meds. His b.p. is well controlled and he is great shape otherwise, so I am not anticipating any problems...should we worry about this?

While you probably won't have to get a "fit to dive" clearance from your doctor, your husband will. It's mostly a "cover your butt" reaction from most instructors because we are usually NOT medical doctors. We would rather leave the ultimate decision for diving between you and your doctor if there are ANY conditions that are not perfect.

BTW Divers Alert Network (DAN) can give you very specific information about any health conditions and diving. Just click on their name to get to their website. I recommend that every diver join them regardless of age. The following is cut and pasted from their website...
Diving Emergencies (Remember: Call local EMS first, then DAN!)
1-919-684-8111
1-919-684-4DAN (collect)
1-800-446-2671 (toll-free)
+1-267-520-1507 (Latin America Hotline)
International Emergency Hotlines
Travel Assistance for Non-Diving Emergencies
1-800-DAN-EVAC (1-800-326-3822)
If outside the USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands or U.S. Virgin Islands, call +1-215-245-2461(collect).
Non-Emergency Medical Questions
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 9am-8pm (EST)
All Other Inquiries
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948
As older than 40 divers, you should definitely look into becoming NitrOx certified as well. DAN highly recommends it for those of us on the wrong side of that magic number. Hey, we don't call it geezer gas for nothing! :tease:

BTW, lest my nick be misconstrued... I am a doctor for sick networks and not for people. I am also a Scuba instructor.

Hey, it's more than covering the rear. Male over 50 means 2 risk factors for coronary artery disease right away. High BP makes 3. Given that CAD is the leading cause of death in general and in diving related episodes, a little caution is in order. 80 ft down is not the best place for a stress test. PADI requires a medical clearance if you're over 45 and have 1 risk factor.
That said, I'd certainly encourage going for it--I didn't start diving until over 45, and wonder why I waited so long. If you're in good shape, no reason not to keep it up for a long time. Getting and staying in shape physically is very important, IMHO. I've seen plenty of young people in terrible shape. I've had a few 20- or 30- somethings not complete the easy swim test, saying they'd come back after getting in shape. I've had young students totally exhausted from a 50 yard surface swim with gear.
I think the majority of active instructors working through our LDS are over 50. (Although after carrying some panting student's weight belt, along with my own, up the stairs from the beach, after the sixth dive of the weekend, I sometimes tell myself I'm too old for this.):winkbl:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom