old scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIREFIGHTER@91

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have an uncle that sent me his old dive gear, says he "thinks" its from the 70s. He thought I may be able to use it, but its pretty shot, haha. But the older stuff just looks so cool , I love just having it on a shelf. Can anyone give me any info on these 2nd stages? cant find any markings at all. model , or years made maybe? Also whats up with this 1st stage, its a scubapro, but havent seen one like it and it is the heaviest thing Ive ever held......I mean this thing is hefty.
DSCF0013.JPG

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0018.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG

Those 2nd stages can easily be put back into service and will perform as well as many modern high performance 2nds. And no plastic case to crack or give you dry mouth.

The Honker can also be put back into service but has an intermediate yoke that is best used with LP tanks. I am still using a yoke of that design on 3000 psi tanks but Scubapro does not recommend it.

Annual service parts and other soft parts are still supported by Scubapro for both.

The other !st stage appears to be a Voit/ Swimmaster MR 12, the first single hose regulator approved for use by the US Navy.

You have a keeper and a user with the ScubaPro 2nd stage. The MR12 can also be put back into service.

Those second stages are IHMO the best second stages ever made. They were in production from the late 60’s into at least the mid 80’s (or maybe the early 90’s, but I am not sure about that). They can be serviced as a basic adjustable demand valve or can be upgraded with the same internal balanced valve as the latest Scubapro G250V.

IMHO those second stages do not belong on a shelf since they can perform as good or better as any regulator build today and they will be far more durable.

The chrome on those looks in fairly rough shape, but they are still very usable.

As mentioned, the Scubapro MK-VII (the honker) can also be serviced and used to dive. The name honker comes from the audible reserve. When the tank pressure gets below about 500 psi there is a honking device that makes a fairly annoying sound.

The Mk-VII was made all through the 70’s and into the early 80’s. The yoke and yoke screw on that one looks like the heavier one from the later years, but it is hard to tell for sure from the pictures.

It is an MR-12 a really sweet diaphragm first stage.

I last saw the Balanced Adjustable cataloged in 1991.

Thanks guys. The more reading and info I get on these makes want to get them in service. Ill start checking around my area to see if anyone can get them up to par

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom