Old Steel Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kland84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I bought a vintage sailboat last year, and it came with an equally vintage steel and Aqualung Conshelf Xii regulator. The last time the tank was hydroed was 1978, last visual was 1982. It has basically sat in a compartment on the boat since then. Has the old style K valve too, which I have never seen before.

Is it worth having this tested? Some of the stamping appears a bit light.

khoAH7L.jpg

I have steel tanks older than than that still test out fine, and are great tanks.

Now, those valve threads look like they might be NPT tapered threads. I don't know much about those. Perhaps might be useful to vintage gear enthusiast.

I'd think it's well worth the test. Or trade it to someone who will particularly enjoy it.

For what it's worth, I have a valve that looks visually similar still in service. Tank born 1963.

unfortunately, that looks like it might be 1/2 NPT due to the teflon tape and lack of an oring. if you can live with the current valve, it probably is usable after hydro/vis.

Last edited:
If it has been stored with air in it, it is very likely that it will pass hydro and visual. I have a steel tank from 1953 which sat for a couple of decades. It passed with no problem.

The tapered valve is not an issue. Modern yoke regulators will wok on it just fine.

Yep, it an old steel 72, 2250 psi rated. If you get the plus "+"rating it makes it a 2475psi tank. Not worth a lot, still very nice tanks, I have a few.

The tank still has pressure. About 300 psi. I can live with the valve. I have a few AL80's and a couple of pony tanks. Might be good to have a spare tank. I would really like to get it back in service due to the history of my sailing vessel and who used the equipment on it. I'm going to have the regulator serviced and use that as a backup for one of my pony tanks. I'll have it tested. Thanks all!

Last edited:
You should rebuild the valve though. O-rings will have dried out and are potentially a risk for failure. I suspect if it's rebuilt, it'll be a great tank.

The biggest problems with those valves is that they make lousy handles for picking up your tank. ;-)

That's an oxygen valve which we used back in the 50's for diving.

You should rebuild the valve though. O-rings will have dried out and are potentially a risk for failure. I suspect if it's rebuilt, it'll be a great tank.

The biggest problems with those valves is that they make lousy handles for picking up your tank. ;-)
Yea I plan on having the dive shop rebuild it. I tested the regulator in my pool this afternoon and it was a complete fail. Did some research and found that regulator was actually recalled. I won't feel comfortable unless that tank passes and the dive shop takes a look at it. Been diving for years, but I have never done maintenance on a valve like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom