Old Steel Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice old tank - if your LDS will actually deal with the tank and it's had air in it, it should pass and be a good tank. I have one left with that type of valve - and still dive it. Get it serviced, replace the burst disk. Ensure the hydro place knows the process for an old galvanized tank (prestretch). If the hydro place actually can Plus the tank, let me know. My hydro place won't plus the tank unless he's got a spec for the exact serial number of the tank, and PST has been out of the scuba tank business for years and has no records (the one pdf with the typo that is out there is not good enough for my hydro guy).
happy diving!

You could always drain it and make a bell out of it . Steel tanks make great bells . Good luck .
Sea Dwellers

I'm guessing you are referring to the PDF from "January 28, 2015?" I'm going to bring it by the hydro place this week to see what they sy.

By the time you have that tank hydroed, possibly tumbled, and buy a new valve you'll have more invested than its worth. So only go down that path if you actually want it for your own diving. Resale value will be $15 at best.

lp72s are nice tanks though, so if it suits your diving fixing it up is worth it.

The hydro guy is going to take a look at it before anything. I'm pulling off the valve tonight or tomorrow to have a look first. I'm hoping to salvage the valve, but if the valve is bad I'll have to make a decision. It may have more sentimental value. The tank came with my sailboat, which Jimmy Buffet used to sail on. Not sure if he ever used this tank, but the tank has been on the boat since the day it was launched. Might be cool to use it for some shallow water lake stuff up my me. I have a few extra valves, but I don't think any will fit this tank.

For that type of valve, ask the hydro shop if they can remove it as most have a tank clamp, which I'll bet you don't. Some hydro shops can do a scuba VIP, so they might be able to do the whole job for you.

Bob

The hydro guy is going to take a look at it before anything. I'm pulling off the valve tonight or tomorrow to have a look first. I'm hoping to salvage the valve, but if the valve is bad I'll have to make a decision. It may have more sentimental value. The tank came with my sailboat, which Jimmy Buffet used to sail on. Not sure if he ever used this tank, but the tank has been on the boat since the day it was launched. Might be cool to use it for some shallow water lake stuff up my me. I have a few extra valves, but I don't think any will fit this tank.

Careful removing the valve as it is brass and will distort with too much torque. This may result in the area around the o-ring not sealing well due to the distortion. If the cylinder passes hydro you should be good to go. I have several steel 72s from the 1950's that I use regularly, including two or three with the same pipe-thread post valve that you have.

That USD Conshelf XII is another treasure from the past. I have one from 1976 (the first two digits of the serial number denote the year of manufacture). They are indestructible and sweet breathing workhorse. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom