Oli spill solutions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chugwhump

Contributor
Reaction score
SE Florida, the flattest part, I can see Mount Pom
# of dives
None - Not Certified
(Harvested from the AP news wire...)

5 wild schemes to stop the oil spill.

Concerned parties are proposing some "out-there" solutions to the Gulf disaster — from nuclear weapons to the subtler power of absorbent human hair.
Use human hair to clean up the oil spill? Really?

As BP readily admits, its experimental plan to lower a 100-ton concrete-and-steel dome over one of the Gulf of Mexico oil leaks might fail completely.

But the vast technical challenges of stemming an underwater "volcano of oil" certainly call for creative thinking. Here, five much-further-outside-the-box strategies to stop the spill:

#1. Nuclear weapons
Between 1966 and 1979, the Soviet Union used "controlled" nuclear blasts five times to successfully plug leaking oil wells.
According to the Russian daily Komsomoloskaya Pravda, "the underground explosion moves the rock, presses on it, and, in essence, squeezes the well’s channel."
Given the technique's track record in Russia, says KP, "the Americans could certainly risk it."

#2. Peat moss
The Norwegian company Kallak Torvstrøfabrikk claims to have developed a strain of peat moss that masterfully soaks up floating oil.
"It absorbs the oil on contact and encapsulates it," company founder Ragnar Kallak tells Science Daily.
The special moss was already deployed in 2009 on a slick off Norway's south-east coast, reports to the Associated Press, and at least one expert is pressing the U.S. government to begin strewing hundreds of thousands of tons of the peat moss into the Gulf.

#3.
Human hair
Inspired by the concept of a "greasy hair day," Environmental charity Matter of Trust has collected nearly half a million pounds of clippings from salons around the world, and volunteers are stuffing the hair into nylon stockings to create sausage-shaped "booms" designed to soak up the petroleum along beach fronts.
"Basically, everyone is desperate to help," says Matter of Trust President Lisa Gautier of the hair donors. "They just really, really want to help.

#4.
Frozen carbon dioxide
The entrepreneurs behind Clean Kool — a sprayable carbon-dioxide solution that can be shot from a gun — claim that it can freeze floating crude oil into lumps that are easier to collect.
"We're fixing to do a demonstration of our product for a couple of mayors down at the beach," Clean Kool representative Terry Hester tells the AP.
"We've got a product we know will work."

#5.
Meditation
Carl Fuermann of Boulder, Colorado, believes the leak can be staunched through mind power alone.
"The basic concept is to try and get as many people to visualize that the "shut off" valve is actually functioning," Fuermann tells The Colorado Daily News.
Describing himself as a man "known for fixing things and making things work," Fuermann says his meditative potency has already repaired a friend's Flip video camera.

I am personally thinking that #5 is the only real choice, but #1 has real possibilities.

Chug
What is so wrong with meditation and nukes anyway?

Last edited:
I'm down for #5. A guys known for fixing things can't be wrong. And I know some people at Cisco. I'll tell them about that method of fixing the flip.

Thanks Geek....
With your help and Carl Fuermann of Boulder Colorado...we are gonna' whip this thing!

Chug
On second thought...has doubts about #5....so let's just NUKE IT!!!

Last edited:
#1 would be a real possibility except for the fact Obama had already curiously publically annouced limitations on retaliatory nuclear strikes in the event of attacks on the USA and it's allies. I highly doubt the left will then have an appetite to detonate a nuclear devise for other reasons.

#2 is an interesting thought. I am assuming oil saturated peat floats? :idk:

#3 sounds like a hairbrained idea.

#4 "We're fixing to do a demonstration of our product for a couple of mayors down at the beach," Perhaps Terry Hester's idea will work even though his english does not...

I'm fixin' to start not likin' you no more there Yankee Boy.....

Chug
Was born in Louisiana...So wetch out!

I'm fixin' to start not likin' you no more there Yankee Boy.....

Chug
Was born in Louisiana...So wetch out!

Vallhala is a Palm Beach County native with strong southern roots. American by birth, Southern by the grace of god. Can't pass up a good joke though, even at the expense of my brethern...

I like #2 and #3, nukes might do a tad bit more damage than the oil lol

Valhalla;
You state you are in NORTH Palm Beach.....I'm thinkin' you got tendencies....
Ya' might wanna' clean thet' up a bit.

Chug

And on a serious note..
I just spent a year living and working in Mobile, Alabama.
I made some great friends.
The people could not be nicer for the most part.
Warm, welcoming, and so very proud of where they live.
I have spoken to a few of them since the events in the Gulf.
They are beyond concerned.
Hurricanes they can handle, but this thing has the whole Gulf Coast just freaked.
I hope they can get this thing figured out.
It could be just a killer to over a thousand miles of coastline and counting.
I do not pray for myself that often, but these people just need some help, and I am praying for them

Chug
Is mostly a heathen.

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, where are the wind mills and electric cars?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom