Oli spill solutions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We used peat and some oil eating microbes, worked well on water or soil. This could be mixed together and spread by plane over the patches of floating oil like fire retardant on a forest fire. The microbes may or may not work in salt water, the peat, doesn't matter. Peat will float till saturated and sink to the bottom.

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, where are the wind mills and electric cars?

Electric cars run on electricity powered largely by fossil fuel plants as the left has not allowed new nuclear power facilities to be constructed unlike Euorpe and the rest of the industrialized world.

When wind mills proliferate we will be arguing about dead birds as their by-product...:)

Last edited:
It really is a very complex issue.

I started this thread as a lighthearted reaction to a bad situation in the Gulf.
I feel pretty much powerless at the moment on this issue at this time.

I have pondered it a lot and have decided that option #5 would be our best choice.
And after that we should link hands, sing gumbaya, and achieve world peace once and for all.

G'night folks.
I dive early tomorrow.

Chug
Likes windmills.

Harvested from AOL news.

(MAY 6) -- Hanesbrands is donating 50,000 pairs of used pantyhose to make oil-absorbing hair booms to help clean up the Gulf Coast oil spill, local North Carolina TV station WXII reports.
The pantyhose will be stuffed with human and animal hair to make booms that will absorb and trap the oil, the company said Thursday. The oil is then squeezed out of the boom, which can then be reused to collect more oil.
"We were fascinated to learn of this other use for pantyhose," said Chris Fox, vice president of corporate social responsibility for Hanesbrands, which is based in Winston-Salem, N.C.
The pantyhose are being donated to nonprofit and grassroots volunteer groups.
One million hair booms will be made over the next three weeks, Jeff Golden, vice president and co-founder of The Sunshine and Shores Foundation in Destin, Fla.
"Hair acts as a sponge. When you put these booms in oil-polluted water, they absorb the oil and leave the water crystal clear," Golden told WXII.
The booms can be used more than 100 times each, and the oil wrung from them can be recycled.
The oil began leaking from the ocean floor after the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig exploded April 20, killing 11 workers.

I think we should all go to Hooters or something and ..........nevermind.

Chug
Just got whacked by his daughter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom