Oly 770SW - any reviews, experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tricia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Folks,

It's time for me to get a new camera and I'm looking at the Oly Stylus 770 SW. I plan to get the PT-035 housing for it and to use my Ikelite DS-50 strobe with it. I've found some reviews on the net, but I'd love to know if any of you have had any experience with it or heard things about it - the good, the bad or the ugly! :crafty:

Thanks!

Trish

There is already a thread on this camera just a few threads down from this one I could have sworn.

Here is mine, still shopping/saving for the strobe.

DSCF0034.jpg

Obviously your not going to get the results with a small lens P&S that you would with a Canon G7 or Nikon P5000 or a SLR etc but based on what I have done with this camera thus far it is a very capable little camera (given the limitations of the genere) and it is rugged--RUGGED!

N

Hi Tricia-

I have the 720SW, it's affordable and easy, however I was not satisfied with image quality above or below water. I got a few nice shots in Maui last year, out of a few hundred. I did like the movie mode on this camera, it shot some nice video with sound.

However, due to the image quality issue and the fact the sw series of Oly does not have manual mode, I switched to Canon. I got the Canon S5 SI with the Ikelite housing (Canon is not making a housing for this camera) and a DS125 Strobe. I would recommend any of the canon models that canon makes a housing for. The "a" series canon's are comparbale in price.

~john

Hi guys,

Nemrod, you are right: you contributed to another thread on the second page. Actually, I was a "good girl" and did a search for "770", but it didn't come up. Should have searched manually. :crafty:

Anyway, both these threads were quite interesting. I'm replacing my Oly 3040 Zoom and PT-005 case (bought in 2001), but I want to continue to be able to use my strobe (you have my sympathies on saving your pennies - I seem to recall mine cost more than the trans-Atlantic flight to my parents' house in the States). The other post helped, too, as my strobe is a "slave" - no cable and it sounds like this kit is not set up for cables.

I was more curious about the quality of the photos. John wasn't satisfied, but he has the 720, the former model, and supposedly the 770 is a major improvement. Would you mind showing us one or two you've shot with the 770? (Or a link to a site where you have your pics is great, too.)

Thanks!
Trish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom