OLY EPL 1 or 2 VS XZ1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MJSmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Could someone compare these two systems for both underwater and on land use. I am somewhat confused as to which system would be best as an upgrade from the OLY 8000 for my travel and undewater camera. With two new systems launced so close together, it is a little confusing. Thanks!

I can't do a real comparison here (there is at least one review that discusses the differences between the lenses of the E-PLx series and the XZ1 which says the XZ1 has a better lens than the kit lens which comes standard with the E-PLx) but they really are two different types of cameras so it really IS hard to compare.

The E-PLx series, with its interchangeable lenses and its much bigger sensor (at least 6 times the size) will have the ability to do much more than the XZ1 -- but it might not be the right camera for you.

Point-n-shoots are great cameras and it is likely that few people will ever, really, be constrained by them. OTOH, the dSLRs/Evils are also great cameras and it is likely that few people will ever be constrained by them either. Let's face it -- most of us don't come close to maxxing out our cameras! They are much more capable than we, the shooters, are!

Well said Peter.

The differences are more about several things:

1 How much one wants to invest.

2. How flexable during a dive one wants to be.

3. What you plan to do with the images.

4. What sort of images you like to take.

With the point and shoot, you can carry several wet lens, and go from macro to wide angle all in one dive.

With the evil camera, you can do spectacular wide angle, but have to change lens and ports to do good macro

The P&S is great for snap shots.

Perhaps more than anything it is about how consumed one is going to be about taking pictures underwater.

I can't do a real comparison here (there is at least one review that discusses the differences between the lenses of the E-PLx series and the XZ1 which says the XZ1 has a better lens than the kit lens which comes standard with the E-PLx) but they really are two different types of cameras so it really IS hard to compare.

The E-PLx series, with its interchangeable lenses and its much bigger sensor (at least 6 times the size) will have the ability to do much more than the XZ1 -- but it might not be the right camera for you.

Point-n-shoots are great cameras and it is likely that few people will ever, really, be constrained by them. OTOH, the dSLRs/Evils are also great cameras and it is likely that few people will ever be constrained by them either. Let's face it -- most of us don't come close to maxxing out our cameras! They are much more capable than we, the shooters, are!

Thanks guys. My underwater shots are more snapshosts for my own personal use. I do own some older DSLR's, but got into the OLY underwater series after some of my friends had some leaks with their DSLR housings and blew out their cameras. I figured that even if my housing leaked, the 8000 would have some chance of survivng.

I usually travel with my OLY 8000 and a separate Nikon Coolpix. Is the smaller size of the XZ1 worth the trade off of a smaller sensor and possibly less flexibilty above water?

Puffer---do you have a dive shop in Knoxville? If so, I will check it out next time I am up there.

Is the smaller size of the XZ1 worth the trade off of a smaller sensor and possibly less flexibilty above water?
Really, only you can answer that question. I've loved my PnS's because of their flexibility -- I absolutely love my EPL-1 because it is as flexible (I think) as my Canon S80 (that is, wide - macro - video during the dive using the "kit" lens) and the image quality is significantly better (and the S80 is good!) due to its much more sensitive (larger) sensor. But then I think about getting a "real" WA lens for the Pen and a Zen port -- i.e., drop another $1500 -- and then a true macro lens -- and then, hey, why not a decent tele lens for above water -- and then why would I bring my Canon Rebel with its lenses on a trip when I have the Pen -- well, you get the issues.

Decisions, decisions. IF all I was planning on doing was "snapping pictures" I'd go with the PnS.

Thanks guys. My underwater shots are more snapshosts for my own personal use. I do own some older DSLR's, but got into the OLY underwater series after some of my friends had some leaks with their DSLR housings and blew out their cameras. I figured that even if my housing leaked, the 8000 would have some chance of survivng.

I usually travel with my OLY 8000 and a separate Nikon Coolpix. Is the smaller size of the XZ1 worth the trade off of a smaller sensor and possibly less flexibilty above water?

Puffer---do you have a dive shop in Knoxville? If so, I will check it out next time I am up there.

I work out of Albany Georgia. Thediveshop.pro, but most weekends will find me in Destin Florida. If you want to try a piece of gear out that I have or just play with something, just drop me a PM.

I think the XZ-1 would make an excellent land camera. You might be surprised just how good they are (small sensor and all). About half the prints we have framed are from high end Point and Shoots, the others from DSLR's...

I will not have a XZ-1 until the housing comes out, but I do have an S90, G10, LX-5 and a GH-1 to play with.

Peter, I don't take my GH-1 on trips, because it and all the lens take up way too much space.. space that dive gear can use. My wife, on the other hand, takes her DSLR and a bag full of very pricey L lens. Which means all she can do is snorkle. It's a choice. But one can take some nice images with any of the good Point and shoot camera's:

This is the small version, I've uploaded a larger one of both these:

2006_11180074.JPG

IMG_02196.JPG

From a snap shot point of view, don't think a DSLR would have done any better.

Really, only you can answer that question. I've loved my PnS's because of their flexibility -- I absolutely love my EPL-1 because it is as flexible (I think) as my Canon S80 (that is, wide - macro - video during the dive using the "kit" lens) and the image quality is significantly better (and the S80 is good!) due to its much more sensitive (larger) sensor. But then I think about getting a "real" WA lens for the Pen and a Zen port -- i.e., drop another $1500 -- and then a true macro lens -- and then, hey, why not a decent tele lens for above water -- and then why would I bring my Canon Rebel with its lenses on a trip when I have the Pen -- well, you get the issues.

Decisions, decisions. IF all I was planning on doing was "snapping pictures" I'd go with the PnS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom