Oly questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Rican:
Excellent Leese ! Thanx a bunch.:monkeydan I have to do some more research at my LPS before I go ahead and buy the housing directly from Olympus. Thanx for the heads up. My photo setup is looking better and better. not to mention my checking account. :eyebrow: I have to go to officemax too. Good viz, George.

I'm glad that you saw Leesa's post in time. $260 sounds like a lot for the pt-015. Granted, I got mine a few months ago when they were easier to find, but I only paid $134 for it online. Check past threads to find the different places that had it.

Another place to look for accessories is Costco (or probably Sam's club, too, if you have access to either one). I got my 256 CF card there for only $49. And, I got spare battery/charger packs there - 6 AA (2100's), 2 AAA, and the charger for $20. They may not be as great a battery as some of the other people on the board would recommend, but for the price, I couldn't pass up the overall value.
I'm still just getting used to my setup (still, it's only been in the pool - I can't bring myself to bring it on a beach dive and risk getting knocked over in the waves with it, and I'm not on a boat for another 2 weeks) but I love it so far! The camera on land even is great, and it was really easy to use in the housing when I tested it in the pool. You'll enjoy it - good luck!

saf_25:
I got spare battery/charger packs there - 6 AA (2100's), 2 AAA, and the charger for $20. They may not be as great a battery as some of the other people on the board would recommend, but for the price, I couldn't pass up the overall value.

I use the same batteries and they last me for a double charter and then some. They even last longer than the ones that come with the camera and even longer than ones "Digital" has to offer.

saf_25:
I'm glad that you saw Leesa's post in time. $260 sounds like a lot for the pt-015. Granted, I got mine a few months ago when they were easier to find, but I only paid $134 for it online. Check past threads to find the different places that had it.

Another place to look for accessories is Costco (or probably Sam's club, too, if you have access to either one). I got my 256 CF card there for only $49. And, I got spare battery/charger packs there - 6 AA (2100's), 2 AAA, and the charger for $20. They may not be as great a battery as some of the other people on the board would recommend, but for the price, I couldn't pass up the overall value.
I'm still just getting used to my setup (still, it's only been in the pool - I can't bring myself to bring it on a beach dive and risk getting knocked over in the waves with it, and I'm not on a boat for another 2 weeks) but I love it so far! The camera on land even is great, and it was really easy to use in the housing when I tested it in the pool. You'll enjoy it - good luck!
Yup ! Right on time. I went to Newegg & Yuzo. I will be doing some research and see what trouble I can get into. :) Thanx for the information on the equipment. Get that camera in open water man. Bust that cherry ! See ya. Good Viz, George

Dee:
George....now you know why I asked if you'd considered it.

I just bought Beast a new C-5050 here at BuyDig.com. Very good price from a recommended company.
Hey Dee, A few questions for ya.
1. At UWcamera.com, how much is 18,900 JPY's in $$.
2. Which strobe fits the PT/15 & do I really need one or two or any for that matter. ?
3. Do I need handles for this setup ?
4. Lastly, what do you currently have on your setup ?
Thanx for the input, I appreciate it.
See ya, George

Scuba-Rican:
Hey Dee, A few questions for ya.
1. At UWcamera.com, how much is 18,900 JPY's in $$.
2. Which strobe fits the PT/15 & do I really need one or two or any for that matter. ?
3. Do I need handles for this setup ?
4. Lastly, what do you currently have on your setup ?
Thanx for the input, I appreciate it.
See ya, George

1. Click---->HERE for the currency conversion site I use. 18,900Y is $176.65 us.

2. I can personally recommend the Inon D-180 and the S&S YS90DX, I have and use both, just not at the same time. Do you need one? No. By using manual white balance you can correct alot of the color loss. But there are shots you just won't get without a strobe. I used to use dual strobes but it was like trying to drive a long limousine around in my living room! I prefer a small simple rig that easy to maneuver.

3. Some find it easier to hold and shoot by using a tray and handle, even without a strobe. Personally, without a strobe I just hold it in my hand.

4. My current setup is....
Oly C-5050 and PT-015 housing,
Fisheye tray and ULCS tray although I prefer the ULCS only because I like the straight, round handle better. The tray part is almost identicle.
Inon D-180 strobe
S&S WA 'L' lens secured by a Digital Lens Dock

Underwater Camera Pros, Underwater Digital Camera, Seashooters and GB Undersea will all carry what I use, you'll just have to compare for prices. I've done excellent business with all four and highly recommend them all.

Dee:
1. Click---->HERE for the currency conversion site I use. 18,900Y is $176.65 us.

2. I can personally recommend the Inon D-180 and the S&S YS90DX, I have and use both, just not at the same time. Do you need one? No. By using manual white balance you can correct alot of the color loss. But there are shots you just won't get without a strobe. I used to use dual strobes but it was like trying to drive a long limousine around in my living room! I prefer a small simple rig that easy to maneuver.

3. Some find it easier to hold and shoot by using a tray and handle, even without a strobe. Personally, without a strobe I just hold it in my hand.

4. My current setup is....
Oly C-5050 and PT-015 housing,
Fisheye tray and ULCS tray although I prefer the ULCS only because I like the straight, round handle better. The tray part is almost identicle.
Inon D-180 strobe
S&S WA 'L' lens secured by a Digital Lens Dock

Underwater Camera Pros, Underwater Digital Camera, Seashooters and GB Undersea will all carry what I use, you'll just have to compare for prices. I've done excellent business with all four and highly recommend them all.
Wow Dee, that's a lot of info. I was cool until I saw the strobe, Ouch ! That's a little high but I guess I could get the strobe later on. Thanx. I am in serious trouble now. Ha Ha:06: . Oh well you only live once. I have got to have that. Maybe I will just get the essentials then get into the rest of it as I go along. I saved all the stores on my favorites so I can go back and shop little by little. This is going to be interesting. See ya. George
P.S. Thanx for the currency converter, very useful. Boy you are just an erupting volcano of info aren't you Dee. You Go !:cheers: Here's to you !

saf_25:

You know what ? I found it for $130.00 minus shipping last night on e-bay and now I can't seem to find it . Oh well I did see it for $150.00 that's not that bad either. See ya. Good Viz, George

Scuba-Rican:
You know what ? I found it for $130.00 minus shipping last night on e-bay and now I can't seem to find it . Oh well I did see it for $150.00 that's not that bad either. See ya. Good Viz, George
Try looking through your history. You should find the page again there.

justleesa:
Try looking through your history. You should find the page again there.
Thanx Leese, I have just finished ordering my rig.:monkeydan Question, when ordering from Japan , I ordered my Strobe, Fisheye tray, handle & arm from them. however there was no mention of method of payment. Do they bill me later once the shipping info is confirmed or what ? I am new to ordering international, first time. Thanx for your feedback in advance. Good Viz, George

George, Yuzo prefers payment through PayPal. That way there's no hassle with currency differences. You pay in US dollars and he gets it in Japanese Yen. Just ask him what his PayPal email address is, I think it's info@naturephoto.co.jp.

Back
Top Bottom