Olympus housing... so much better than my Ikelite!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
I just got my Olympus housing in (for the C-740) and it's awesome! It is so much better designed and built compared to my Ikelite(for my C-730 that I sold).

1. The camera fits so snugly in the housing, while there is so much extra room inside the Ikelite that makes unneccesary bulkiness.

2. You can close the internal flash with the Olympus housing, while in the Ikelite, once you open it, you're stuck with it open till you surface.

3. The diffuser is actually integrated nicely in the housing and not just attached on the outside on a plastic ring with a spring.

4. All the plastic main buttons are so much more ergonomic, especially the shutter.

5. The preview window has a little mini cubby awning over it to block glare.

6. This is a small detail but... the symbols for the buttons are are actually engraved into the plexi.

7. The lens cap has a string attached, I had to make my own with the Ikelite.

8. It is so much lighter, less bulkier and more easily packable.

9. A lot less awkward to hold underwater with one hand and press the shutter at the same time...that is impossible with the Ikelite, unless you hold the side of the housing instead of the arm.

10. You don't have to screw the camera onto anything, you just put it in and close the hatch.

11. Those nifty Japanese engineers even molded a little thumb deboss on the plexi for a better grip.

12. And BEST OF ALL... it only costs $169, when my Ikelite costed $550!

I sold my C-730, and bought a C-740 on sale at bhphoto.com for only $299. Then I sold my Ikelite housing and bought the Olympus housing for $169. So it was a pretty sweet deal, I pretty much exchanged my camera for a newer one, and exchanged my housing for a better one and made $120 in the process! Anyway, that was just my 2 cents of a consumer report.

wow, I never heard of somebody swapping out their ikelite case for an "inferior" housing. Pretty cool that the Olympus housing is better, let's spread the good word around and save people some cash.

The ikelite housing still has the greater depth rating though, right? And doesn't it also have two housing o-rings, rather than one... seems I read that someplace.

archman,

The newer Olympus housings are rated up to 40m, instead of just 30m. So, that is really all you need unless you frequently go on decompression dives. As for the O-ring, I remember my Ikelite only having one. Yeah, now more people can invest their money into cameras and strobes instead of housings!

All the reasons I love my Oly housings! Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom