Olympus OM-D EM-5 MKII Underwater Photo & Video Review - First Look

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JennPenn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Olympus-Em5_MarkII-first-look.jpg
Hey Scuba Boarders! It's JennPenn from Backscatter...
The Backscatter Crew got a close-up look at the new Olympus OM-D EM-5 MKII. Check out their first impressions!
For any questions about the OM-D EM-5 MKII, or the original EM-5, please contact one of our Sales Pros at: sales@backscatter.com

Olympus EM-5 Mark II Underwater Photo & Video Review - First Look and Details
By Jim Decker

Olympus E-⁠M5 Mark II Underwater Review-First Look
Olympus was kind enough to send us an E-M5 Mark II camera and PT-EP⁠13 Underwater Housing to check out. Get a rundown of the new key features and a first look at this camera and housing in this review.

Awesome Control Set

This is one of the largest differences compared to the original E-M5. The control set very closely resembles that of the EM-1, which we thought was one of the best control sets of any camera, period. The beloved 2x2 switch is carried over from the E-M1 along with up to 6 customizable buttons. The control set between these two cameras is almost identical, making the E-M5 Mark II one of the best controls sets in photography.

omd_em5_markii-vs_omd_em1_top.jpg

omd_em5_markii-vs_omd_em1_back.jpg

Although the E-M5 Mark II and the E-M1 have different body shapes,
the 2 cameras share almost identical control sets.

Improved Sensor, AF Performance, and 5 Axis Image Stabilization

The sensor is all new with a faster readout to support faster live view refresh and 1080 60p video. This also helps the E-M5 Mark II have a slight increase in AF performance over the E-M1. Shooting speed is 10 frames per second in RAW, the same performance as E-M1. It also gets a bump in performance from the already crazy good 5 axis image stabilization of the E-M1.

Improved Screen Display

The new screen is 5 times brighter and has a much greater dynamic range over previous models. This makes seeing extremely backlit scenes like we have in underwater wide angle photography have much more detail, making wide angle compositions much easier to see.

Pro Level Movie Mode

The all new movie mode allows you to select up to a 60p frame rate for 1080 and options for higher bit rate video. An included option is to record a less compressed ALL-I format at 77 mbps bit rate. At the highest bit rate in 1080 60p I observed a 51 mbps rate, which is on par with professional level broadcast quality systems, and exceeds most other mirroless cameras on the market. On previous PEN and OMD models the highest bit rate possible was 24 mbps. Focus peaking is available for the first time during recording in movie mode. Combined with the 5 axis stabilization, novice movie shooters will be able to get good quality, stable footage with a minimal amount of image shake.

40 Megapixel Image - With a 16 MP Sensor

You have the ability to shoot super hi res images with the "Pixel Shifting" technology of the EM-5 II. It works by shifting the sensor to capture multiple frames and build a composite image. It's a bit like how HDR works by taking multiple shots-you'll need to be perfectly still (on a tripod) and the subjects in the frame need to be perfectly still. While this will be fine for topside landscape photography, due to the moving environment underwater, it's not a viable option for most shooting situations underwater.

PT⁠-EP13 Housing

The PT-EP⁠13 housing is a departure from previous housings in the OMD series. The housing includes an attached standard port, where before the flat port was always sold separately. The flat port accommodates the 14-42mm, 9-18mm, 12-50mm, and 60mm lenses. The port is removable allowing third party port options from Zen and AOI to be added to expand the range of lenses that can be used.

omd_em5_markii-housing_top-back.jpg

The PT-EP⁠13 housing for the E-M5 Mark II has large dials for shutter speed, aperture, and zoom, along with ergonomically placed buttons making it easy to quickly make changes underwater.

The housing has large dials for shutter speed, aperture, mode, and zoom/focus. The shutter release has a good feel. Extenders on buttons place the controls in easy to access ergonomic positions. The flash can now be operated in the down position without the need to use or dedicate a custom function button to underwater shooting mode. A pickup view finder is standard and allows viewing the EVF through the back of the housing.

Port Options From AOI

AOI makes multiple dome and flat ports to accommodate a wide range of lenses. Fisheye, wide angle zoom, and macro lenses are all supported making the PT-EP⁠13 housing the centerpiece of a complete and affordable mirrorless camera system. Click here to see the range of port options for the Olympus PEN and OMD series housings. Please note this system uses the PEN series ports.

omd_em5_markii-aoi_ports.jpg

AOI has a range of ports available to greatly expand the number of lenses that can be used underwater.

Conclusion

The performance of the E-M5 Mark II matches or exceeds the E-M1 in almost every category. One area where it does not exceed is the flash sync speed. The E-M5 Mark II is 1/250 versus the E-M1 at 1/320. Overall the new E-M5 Mark II is arguably the best mirrorless camera Olympus has put out. With great still features, a vastly improved movie mode and a price of $300 less than the E-M1, makes the E-M5 Mark II one of the top mirrorless out today. Stay tuned as we take this system for a test dive and provide some real world samples from this camera.

Thank you for the review.

As a true amateur photog who likes to shoot underwater, I'm always intrigued by the question: When should I trade up to the new stuff? In reality, given MY own skill set, what difference will this new gear mean to my images?

An example of that was when I shoved my rig (E-PL1 with In on d2000 strobe and kit lens) into my wife's hands and took her PnS from her. That camera was holding her back and we now have two E-PL1 rigs.

It is obvious the EM-5 Mk II is a better camera than the E-PL1 -- better sensor, better video, etc. BUT, in the real world, would my images taken with the Mk II be noticeably better -- particularly when my images are aimed for projection on screens?

Really just musing here (and waiting for my housing to flood to force me to upgrade!).

in the real world, would my images taken with the Mk II be noticeably better -- particularly when my images are aimed for projection on screens?
None of he best photographers ever (HCB, Capa, McCurry, Carter, Erwitt, Adams, Lange, Brassaï etc., etc., etc.) used the MkII. Just sayin' :wink:

waiting for my housing to flood to force me to upgrade!.
Prolly the best excuse :)

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

looks great

A couple questions:

- Does the Zen WA-100 port work with this housing?
- How does the AOI DLP-04 semi-dome port compare to the Zen WA-100? Are they functionally the same? I'm planning on using the port with the Olympus 9-18mm and I'm having trouble finding any info about the AOI port.
- Would the Sea & Sea YS-03 be a good flash to pair with this camera (or other Olympus cameras)?

Top notch write up!!!

As a true amateur photog who likes to shoot underwater, I'm always intrigued by the question: When should I trade up to the new stuff? In reality, given MY own skill set, what difference will this new gear mean to my images?

An example of that was when I shoved my rig (E-PL1 with In on d2000 strobe and kit lens) into my wife's hands and took her PnS from her. That camera was holding her back and we now have two E-PL1 rigs.

It is obvious the EM-5 Mk II is a better camera than the E-PL1 -- better sensor, better video, etc. BUT, in the real world, would my images taken with the Mk II be noticeably better -- particularly when my images are aimed for projection on screens?
Really just musing here (and waiting for my housing to flood to force me to upgrade!).
Just my totally 'surface' experience and thoughts on it...

Having the latest and greatest wont mean better photos... Same as digital doesn't make better photographers. When you had film/slide with 24 shots on it you had to pick and choose and be careful... now you can take x00 shots many people rush and just take shots incase it turns out.

But knowing your gear and getting the most out of it is the best way to go. If you had your current setup for 3-5yrs, and used it regularly, chances are that your results would be much better than most people with latest and greatest who had it for 6-12 mths and used it regularly.

When I was doing a photography course at the local photo club, there was a lady with a point and shoot that took some photos that all of us to shame with out DSLR's - this was towards the end of the course when we knew what we were doing! It was truly depressing.

Peter - the OM-D E-M5 Mark II, which I tested out in our store last week, is definitely a better camera than your E-PL1. However, the lens you use is arguably even more important than the body, when you think about better shots you should also think about getting a WA or macro lens, and a second strobe. I know, it all adds up! - Scott Gietler

---------- Post added February 13th, 2015 at 02:38 PM ----------

hi ggibson

Thanks for your post

Yes, the Zen 9-18mm will work, you will just need this Zen OM-D port adapter.

The Zen port is custom made for the 9-18mm, and that would be my recommendation for a port.

If you ever want to shoot wide-angle, I would highly recommend saving up for a YS-D1 strobe, with a larger sensor camera like the E-M5 II you will want the power of the YS-D1 at some point. The YS-03 may not be the best choice but it will work and be an ok budget option.

Personally if budget was an issue I'd get the OM-D E-M5 bundle with a better lens or better strobe.

Hope this helps!

Scott Gietler

A couple questions:

- Does the Zen WA-100 port work with this housing?
- How does the AOI DLP-04 semi-dome port compare to the Zen WA-100? Are they functionally the same? I'm planning on using the port with the Olympus 9-18mm and I'm having trouble finding any info about the AOI port.
- Would the Sea & Sea YS-03 be a good flash to pair with this camera (or other Olympus cameras)?

hi ggibson

Thanks for your post

Yes, the Zen 9-18mm will work, you will just need this Zen OM-D port adapter.

The Zen port is custom made for the 9-18mm, and that would be my recommendation for a port.

If you ever want to shoot wide-angle, I would highly recommend saving up for a YS-D1 strobe, with a larger sensor camera like the E-M5 II you will want the power of the YS-D1 at some point. The YS-03 may not be the best choice but it will work and be an ok budget option.

Personally if budget was an issue I'd get the OM-D E-M5 bundle with a better lens or better strobe.

Hope this helps!

Scott Gietler

Thanks for the answers. Like Peter, I also have an E-PL1 UW kit that I'll want to upgrade at some point. I'm considering getting an E-M5II to use on land first, and then pick up the housing at a later date probably.

At the moment though, I'm thinking of picking up the semi-dome and a flash to add to my kit. Just checking to see if they would be compatible if I update my camera. I'm not sure that I dive enough to spend the extra money for the YS-D1, but I appreciate the recommendation. The YS-03 seems to be a good bang for the buck.

Also, is there an option to purchase the PT-EP13 without the flat port for those of us that have a previous housing or want to use a 3rd-party option?

We believe the Zen 9-18 semi-dome port should fit the new PT-013 housing _without_ any adapter as Olympus has gone back to the standard flat port that they have used on the PEN series of housings. The PT-013 doesn't have the larger bayonet locking ring, etc like the other OMD housings.

The PT-013 is only available with the flat port. and it should work great with the 60mm macro lens.

Right now if you buy any Oly OMD camera, PEN E-PL7, etc you can buy lenses and good discounts; ie the 9-18 at $200 off and the 60 macro for $100 off.

The YS-03 will work fine, but you may need to consider a better arm and tray, as the ones that come with it are going to be too small really.

I agree with Scott - the Oly EM-5 Bundle is a better buy overall and then put the money into lenses and a better strobe. You'll have a better investment long term. You're going to get 90% of what the new camera has to offer at least for stills. The lens discounts apply to it as well, making it an even better buy for those on a budget.

Blue water -- Thank you for your answer. In our household now, we have three E-PL1 bodies, 2 14-42 kit lenses (Mk I), two Oly housings, 4 In on d2000 strobes, 1 Zen port, one 12-50 lens, one 9-18 lens and one 40-150 lens (on 3rd body for topside use) and the Inon wet macro lens.

I have yet to convince myself to buy the 60 mm lens but who knows, it might happen (what I really wish would happen would be for someone to allow me to switch the 12-50 to macro and back through software without physically hacking the lens).

One of these days Jack at Optical Oceans will see me coming through the door and upgrade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom