Olympus SP-550 Uz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first "bad sign" was reading the RAW write times of 8 seconds. Same as the SP350. I've decided to wait until next year to upgrade my camera. This one doesn't excite me that much. Here's some things I would like to know, if anyone has the desire to test them it would be fantastic.
1. Image quality at ISO 1600 ... The ISO 3200 capapbility in SHQ or RAW has my attention. The issue is, are the images useful at these levels.
2. Focus time...the 510UZ was as slow as the SP350
3. What is the minimum focus distance for Macro (not super macro) with full zoom. The 510 was about 3-4ft at full zoom.

Caveat emptor: I've only used the camera for two hours. Despite eight years of using Olympus cameras, the controls are different once again, so I might have to break down and read the manual.

ce4jesus:
My first "bad sign" was reading the RAW write times of 8 seconds.

Speed is not a word I associate with xD cards. (The SP-550UZ is my third camera using them.)

ce4jesus:
I've decided to wait until next year to upgrade my camera.

I no longer had that option. I was hoping to upgrade my underwater camera this year, but my telephoto camera for out-of-water work bought it last week, throwing my upgrade schedule for a loop.

ce4jesus:
Image quality at ISO 1600

The CNET review (http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t=35485604-e26cae83ea3fc932488ff539b0cf5cc2-bf&s=5&fs=0) was scathing, using the word "hype" yet again. (In all fairness, the author also mentioned that other manufacturers are equally guilty in the same areas.)

What Olympus doesn't tell you is that using these higher film speeds shrinking the size in pixels. On top of that, the reviewer found the results noisy.

Since I take a lot of food shots, I'll probably have more to say about that over the weekend.

ce4jesus:
Focus time

I don't know about times, but I was able to watch it DEFOCUS when I pointed it at pink cherry blossoms yesterday. My guess is that the auto-focus mechanism used infrared, which doesn't like pink (or red).

Nothing new there, however, because my last two Olympus cameras have had that problem. One, however, at least allowed manual focus.

ce4jesus:
What is the minimum focus distance for Macro (not super macro) with full zoom.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do here. Isn't the macro setting for use at the wide angle end of the zoom range?

Reefwalker:
Hi Wisnu
For the PT-037 housing try Yuzo from www.uwdigitalcamera.com he gets new stuff as quick as anyone (he is in Japan) and is a very helpful fellow that offers excellent, fast & honest service to me in Indonesia and Australia.

Thanks Reefmaster
I sent e-mail to Mr. Yuzo 3 weeks ago; he quickly advised the PT-037 would be available early of April. Not only him, I also contacted most of address mention by Alcina.
However, since I already have the camera and having a plan to Tulamben and Menjangan on March 31, 2007 - I did not give up and still expecting to have this housing before my trip. In fact I purcahsed this camera early of March from a small shop in KL although the website stated March 19.
I have spent lot of time googling everywhere but no result except my company network statistic put me as one of top ten internet user :( :11: . Initialy Amazon mentioned April 20; but then 4 - 6 week delivery.
I think I have to give-up by now. I will fly to Jakarta tommorow afternoon - so, the SP-550 US will be for Bali Topsite and my C5000 for underwater. Unless there's a miracle - Olympus will participate on Indonesia DEEP 2007 (March 29 -31); will see.

I have been watching this camera closely and checking the specs on it. It looks very impressive so far.

There are 2 GIG high speed XD cards available so that's a good thing for RAW shooters.

The Ike housing won't be available till mid June per Ikelite. I favor the Ike housing because it will likely have a 67mm lens port for my wet mount lenses.

NOW, here is my big concern. After a PM to Wisnu I discover the SP550UZ has an external zoom lens versus an internal one like my current Oly C4000Z, correct Wisnu? What difference does that make you ask? It may or may not so I'll toss out the question here.

If the zoom is external will a wet mount wide angle lens function properly because of the distance between the camera lens and the wet mount lens when the camera is zoomed all the way out? I suspect not. Ikelite is currently experimenting with the camera and told me to check back in 3 to 4 weeks.

If the zoom is external will a wet mount wide angle lens function properly because of the distance between the camera lens and the wet mount lens when the camera is zoomed all the way out? I suspect not. Ikelite is currently experimenting with the camera and told me to check back in 3 to 4 weeks.

One look at the housing tells me even Inon is going to have a rough time developing a wet lens for the housing.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do here. Isn't the macro setting for use at the wide angle end of the zoom range?

Maybe this is a little naive, but my thoughts were you could at least do away with needing any wet diopters or magnifiers by zooming in to smaller critters.

Gilligan:
I favor the Ike housing because it will likely have a 67mm lens port for my wet mount lenses.

Olympus used that size on the housing for my old C-700. Alas, the mu-40 that I'm now using has a much smaller port, so my close-up lens sits in its neoprene sack.

Gilligan:
I discover the SP550UZ has an external zoom lens versus an internal one

This is news? An 18x lens has to be external. Turning on the camera causes the lens to extend out of the body. Zooming extends it even farther.

Gilligan:
If the zoom is external will a wet mount wide angle lens function properly because of the distance between the camera lens and the wet mount lens when the camera is zoomed all the way out?

IMHO, when working underwater, zooming beyond 3x (or possibly 5x) is a waste of time—see the "water absorbs light" section of your OW manual—so I doubt that the housing permits use of the full range. Then again, this issue might be holding up the design team. May is still a month off.

Gilligan:
I discover the SP550UZ has an external zoom lens
If the zoom is external will a wet mount wide angle lens function properly because of the distance between the camera lens and the wet mount lens when the camera is zoomed all the way out?

Three of the following photos at Flickr show the three stages: power off, power on, lens fully extended.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=71453924@N00&q=SP-550UZ&m=text

Back
Top Bottom