Olympus xr-1 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funland111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was going to upgrade to a Canon S95 with an Ikelite housing, until I read a review concerning the XR-1. I do not have any experience with Olympus housings. If I decide to purchase the XR-1 instead of the S95, should I go with an Olympus housing or wait for an Ikelite housing? I was considering the FIX housing for the S95, but it's hard to justify the cost. I'm heading to Aruba in March, but it looks like the XR-1 might not be available before my trip. Appreciate any thoughts.

Bill

I was going to upgrade to a Canon S95 with an Ikelite housing, until I read a review concerning the XR-1. I do not have any experience with Olympus housings. If I decide to purchase the XR-1 instead of the S95, should I go with an Olympus housing or wait for an Ikelite housing? I was considering the FIX housing for the S95, but it's hard to justify the cost. I'm heading to Aruba in March, but it looks like the XR-1 might not be available before my trip. Appreciate any thoughts.

Bill

I think that you're talking about the Olympus XZ-1.....
The XZ-1 and it's housing should be available by the end of January or the first part of February.

Olympus make the best OEM housings, full stop. My PT-020 housing for C5060 has dual o-rings, sync cord bulkhead - unheard of in it's original price range. PT-050 looks even better. Sometimes cheaper is better.

Olympus make the best OEM housings, full stop. My PT-020 housing for C5060 has dual o-rings, sync cord bulkhead - unheard of in it's original price range. PT-050 looks even better. Sometimes cheaper is better.

I too am a fan of Olympus housings. Olympus did use dual O-rings on some inexpensive housings in the past, the PT-015, PT-020, PT023 and PT-030 being examples I have used. Current models use only one, except for the DSLR metal housings. The plastic PT-EPL1 housing for the E-PL1 has one O-ring.

I'm not sure double O-rings adds much. I'm lucky, I've never had a flood. But most of the reports I have read have listed dirty O-rings as a cause, if they knew. The annual replacement of double O-rings is expensive and might make people shirk on replacing them, which could lead to trouble.

I think all of these plastic housings are less reliable than metal ones, no question you get what you pay for.

The annual replacement of double O-rings is expensive and might make people shirk on replacing them, which could lead to trouble.

I'd rather bear the expense of replacing an O-ring, rather than replacing my O-camera:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom