OMS 32lb singles wing and OMS bp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm using the OMS BP with a Halcyon 36# Wing and STA. If you are using a Single tank, I can't see any other way of doing this without the STA. I guess you could fashion somthing with some Bolts, washers(Large) and Nuts, but why? sidemount tanks?

scuba_sirhc:
Hi does anyone knows if the wing can fit the bp w/o using STA?

Umm.. it should. My OMS wing has STA "rods" sewn into the wing for use without a separate STA. I'm pretty sure the OMS plates have slots cut appropriately. But you will have to look at your wing and plate... OMS has, over the years, changed the design several times... not all OMS single wings will have the rods.

CatalinaCanuck:
I'm using the OMS BP with a Halcyon 36# Wing and STA. If you are using a Single tank, I can't see any other way of doing this without the STA. I guess you could fashion somthing with some Bolts, washers(Large) and Nuts, but why? sidemount tanks?

Can i use the cam bands and thread through the slots in the bp and the wing?

scuba_sirhc:
Hi does anyone knows if the wing can fit the bp w/o using STA?

Yes it can.

I got my OMS BP and my 32lbs wing last March and I used it for about a year without an STA. The cam straps get threaded through the BP and the slots in the wing. There are some mini STA helpers built into the wing to prevent the tank from moving around. The BP and the tank sandwich the wing in between them so you don't need any bolts to hold the wing in place.

I did buy an STA over the winter primarily for the extra weight (I dive dry). I did notice that the STA does hold the tank and BP together a little more solidly than without but it isn't necessary.

Cheers, David

dmblack58:
Yes it can.

I got my OMS BP and my 32lbs wing last March and I used it for about a year without an STA. The cam straps get threaded through the BP and the slots in the wing. There are some mini STA helpers built into the wing to prevent the tank from moving around. The BP and the tank sandwich the wing in between them so you don't need any bolts to hold the wing in place.

I did buy an STA over the winter primarily for the extra weight (I dive dry). I did notice that the STA does hold the tank and BP together a little more solidly than without but it isn't necessary.

Cheers, David

Hi guys thanks for the replies!Nearly got fooled by my LDS who told e that the STA was ABSOLUTELY necessary as the 32lb wing slots and the bp slots wont match....and i thought that doesnt make any sense as both bp and wing are from OMS...

You do not need a STA with the OMS 32 wing. You just thread your cam bands through the slots, and the small built-in soft STA at the top and the bottom will keep your tank from wobbling. It's a very nice setup, and I used it for a long time.

realdiver7:
You do not need a STA with the OMS 32 wing. You just thread your cam bands through the slots, and the small built-in soft STA at the top and the bottom will keep your tank from wobbling. It's a very nice setup, and I used it for a long time.

wow ok....didnt know that the 32lb wing has the built in STA feature...

yes i just bought my setup of oms the other day and bought the 32lb wing and the STA but only for the extra weight bc i hate wearing alot of weight around my waist

As one person noted, OMS has changed the design here and there over the years. I have right now an OMS 32lb wing WITH the built-in stabilizing rods--so no STA needed. Unless I am mistaken, the newest OMS 32lb wing does NOT have the stabilizing rods. ALSO, I currently have an OMS aluminum backplate and the cam slots in the BP do NOT line up with the cam slots in my OMS 32lb wing. Don't know what the deal is--but obviously my BP and wing are from different generations. So, your LDS may not be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom