oms goes dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo once bubbled...
So is the quest for the "GUE approved" label going to override everything OMS has done in the past?

Bye bye bungees!
Is this going to be like the Designed for use with Microsoft Windows label? I wonder what the requirements for "GUE Approved" will be...

I don't think so. And it doesn't say that anywhere in the news release.

Maybe GUE style, or GUE type, or GUE wannabe,but it doesn't say that either.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
So is the quest for the "GUE approved" label going to override everything OMS has done in the past?

Bye bye bungees!

Oh I'm sure those bungees'll stay around. I seem to remember seeing a statement, and I recall being made by Halcyon, that not every Halcyon product is DIR approved. Although it could have been something GI3 spouted....

Some of the people on quest don't like OMS very much, do they?
:D

Hmmm. I don't think I remember GUE endorsing 300 bar, they recommend it. I have 200 Bar and was not kicked out of my Fundy class. I think OMS is jumping on the DIR band wagon as it pertains to "branding". As for the guys coming over to OMS, they probally worked in shipping :D

Eric

OMS is just trying to stay in business. Look at their situation. They manufacture a line of dive eqipment aimed at technical divers. At the same time there is a very vocal group if divers, DIR, that calls their product the bungied wings of death. A lot of the voice power of DIR is that it insists on uniformity. When group of people speak in unison, their voice is louder. Halcyon has very high profit margins on gear that is (for the most part) not even patented, which makes them commercially vunerable. So far as I know, "doing it right" and "DIR" are not registered trademarks. They may already be in the public domain. It is obvious that OMS would have this response. I would be surprised if a few more DIR items do not show up at Dive Rite.

I have mentioned this before, but there are $$$ waiting for the company that can get a ready to use DIR single tank wing on the market to compete with the Pioneer at a lower price point. By the way, Deep Outdoors has a 34# single tank wing out, but I have no idea of its price.

Meanwhile, I am amazed that only one other member in this thread picked up on the conflict of interest issue from the president of GUE owning Halcyon. Money is a powerful incentive.

Back
Top Bottom