OMS single dive setup. What parts to get???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speardoggin

Contributor
Reaction score
I am getting more into the tech setups for diving now due to the industrial strength materials and lack of failure points. I spearfish and the chance for $hit to go wrong is high. I had my quick release harness straps on my BC come off in 200 fsw which is no fun when a 70lb AJ is on the end of the speargun. I need a setup for a single tank. I will be using up to a 133 HP steel cylinder. I was going to get a Halcyon dive setup at my LDS, but it seems I can piece it together much cheaper online. Maybe I am wrong, but after researching on what i need, if I can save some money, it would be nice. Not sure which bladder, backplate, pockets, weight pockets and harness to get. Anything I need??? I am new to the backplate wing setups, so any advice is appreciated.

BTW, my diving is deepwater ocean and wreck diving.

Jeff

A 30lb halcyon wing and your HP130 would make a great 200fsw setup. Might want to get an AL14 for a pony bottle.

I have an AL40 that i sling for deep stuff. Do you think that will be enough lift with everything i'm carrying? I was thinking maybe the OMS Larry Green 45lb wing. Here are the weight specs:

Stainless backplate 6lb
Regulator 3lb
knife 1lb
lights 3lb
tank 9lb
40 AL 1.5 lb
speargun 2lb
Miscellaneous BS 1 lb
weight to compensate for empty tanks bouyancy 4lbs
Unsure how much weight is needed for me and my 5 mil Scubapro wetsuit (what do you think?)

That's 30.5 lbs without the weight for me and my thickest wetsuit. Not sure if that is enough for the 30lb Halcyon or 32lb OMS. I may be forgetting something in this equation. I guess if my speargun and knife is attached to me, that might make a difference.

How much weight do you think i will need for the wetsuit approx(never really isolated how much weight for the wetsuit alone)? I know when i freedive, i only use 5lbs, but that is with an open cell 3 mil Oceanic FIT 45 wetsuit and i am still floating so i can breathe on the surface.

Last edited:
I have an AL40 that i sling for deep stuff. Do you think that will be enough lift with everything i'm carrying? I was thinking maybe the OMS Larry Green 45lb wing. Here are the weight specs:

Stainless backplate 6lb
Regulator 3lb
knife 1lb
lights 3lb
tank 9lb
speargun 2lb
weight to compensate for empty tank bouyancy 2lbs
Unsure how much weight is needed for me and my 5 mil Scubapro wetsuit (what do you think?)

That's 26 lbs without the weight for me and my thickest wetsuit. Not sure if that is enough for the 30lb Halcyon or 32lb OMS.

How much weight do you think i will need for the wetsuit approx? I know when i freedive, i only use 5lbs, but that is with an open cell 3 mil Oceanic FIT 45 wetsuit and i am still floating so i can breathe on the surface.
Consider one of the 120lb OMS wings, they really were made for the types of dives it looks like you're doing.

Consider one of the 120lb OMS wings, they really were made for the types of dives it looks like you're doing.

Sorry i kind of edited my post while you were quoting it to get the weight equation right. I'm assuming that is suppose to be some kind of joke about the 120lb wing :).

I am getting more into the tech setups for diving now due to the industrial strength materials and lack of failure points. I spearfish and the chance for $hit to go wrong is high. I had my quick release harness straps on my BC come off in 200 fsw which is no fun when a 70lb AJ is on the end of the speargun. I need a setup for a single tank. I will be using up to a 133 HP steel cylinder. I was going to get a Halcyon dive setup at my LDS, but it seems I can piece it together much cheaper online. Maybe I am wrong, but after researching on what i need, if I can save some money, it would be nice. Not sure which bladder, backplate, pockets, weight pockets and harness to get. Anything I need??? I am new to the backplate wing setups, so any advice is appreciated.

Jeff

:shakehead:

Sorry i kind of edited my post while you were quoting it to get the weight equation right. I'm assuming that is suppose to be some kind of joke about the 120lb wing :).

Yah, but so was Post #2.

... if you're looking for a serious answer, ScubaBoard isn't the place to ask.

Try Spearboard ... or someplace where you can talk to people who dive in the same environment you do.

All you're gonna get here is a bunch of cavers giving you crap ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jeff

Jeff, you need to cut it out or we're going to be reading about you in the Accidents and Incidents forum. This is total nonsense and you're going to end up in a pinewood box.

Cheers,
AJ

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom