On the fence about which Zeagle product...help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Gonz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've pretty much made up my mind to go Zeagle BCs over ScubaPro. With the Knighthawk, you lose weight, you are screwed. So, that cuts it out for me. It's a big expenditure for me. I've read about mixing and matching, but how large does the waist go? I'm looking at a 52 inch waist and my shoulder to waist measurement is right at 26 inches.

The one feature that I was sold on was one of the guys I dive with on occasion showed me how much adjustability there is in the Ranger LTD. Does this also apply to the Brigade I see on ScubaToys? How much of a bonus is the extra lift in the Ranger over the Brigade? I know, these are all silly, noob questions, but they need asking. I've used the search function here too, so :p before you go there.

Right now, I am using my LDS' 2x Glide+ with 9 pounds of weight. It fluctuates to twelve depending on the tank. It's a decent BC, but that jacket thing just makes me feel too tightly compressed until I hit depth. I like the numerous dump valves on it as well. One of the Zeagle critiques I have heard is air pooling in one spot, causing a bit of a list while diving. Is this universally true?

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

You are obviously making an online purchase, so my advise would be to call ScubaToys, and let them help you with fit. Zeagle makes cumber-bun extensions I believe if that becomes necessary. Most of their BC's go to XL which fits up to a 50" waist. I notice that the Ranger offers a *custom* size larger than 50". I'm betting that is not cheap, but that maybe where you end up if they no longer make the bun extensions.

Zeagle is cool as you can mix and match size components. So you can put a large cumberbun on a medium BC for example. This is best done at the time of purchase.

As for lift, you sound like a large individual, but unless it is solid muscle, I think 30~35lbs of lift is plenty for most divers. Again, ST can talk you through that as well, and you can also discuss different models and options.

I dive the Stiletto, and like it very much. My buddy dives a Ranger, and teaches. He uses the 45lbs bladder when teaching and a 35 lbs bladder for most dive conditions.

I have not seen the newer Escapes, but I noticed that they have pull out weight pockets. IMO that is a much inferior system vs. their rip-cord weight system. My buddy lost a Mares weight pocket when we were in the channel islands.... damn velcro.

The prices have all jumped quite a bit recently. I would say look used, but that is not easy if you need larger sizes or custom sizing.

One thing for sure, Zeagle is a great company to work with, and I think they will go the extra mile to ensure that what they produce will fit you properly. Get ready to buy the farm however...

Yeah, not quite sold on online yet. I like my LSD, but reading here has shown me places like ScubaToys can cope with the warranty almost as well as the shop. No, it isn't all muscle, but there is a goodly bit inside the muffin. :p

Yeah, I am a larger sized person, so that is the hugest selling point for Zeagle. That, and reading the stellar customer service they offer.

A XXL is only like $20 more than a standard size BC, if I recall correctly. :)

The one suggestion I would make is, don't buy the size that is at the maximum for your waist size. You CAN dive it, but it moves the weight pockets further back than I would like.

Err to the larger size, and add a lumbar pad to take up a little space if needed.

Thanks,

Scott

If you have a 52" waist, I would get the XXL vest section. For a 26" shoulder-to-waist measurement, you can get the XL shoulders on it.

Our BCs are component based, which means that you can mix sizes for a more customizable fit....so if you were ordering a Ranger, you would just ask for a Ranger with an XXL vest section and an XL shoulder.

That's all there is to it!!!!

:)

Finally get my Ranger, adjust it to fit and it is comfy! Now, if not for this middle ear infection and sore throat, I would be out this weekend. Ah well, next week it is.

Question, should it have come with the power inflator if I ordered the Octo-Z?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom