One dead, one missing (since found), 300 foot dive - Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The original news story that Dandy Don linked to has been updated. The CG has suspended the search for the missing diver.

I don't know what the protocols are on the Great Lakes but our dive team treats every recovery as a criminal investigation. Evidence is gathered regardless if it is a simple drowning or not.

Could be testing tanks as well. It's the media, accuracy is optional. Given the depth they could have said oxygen tanks and for once had a chance of being right! (Oxygen deco bottles)

Sad to hear. I was looking at this boat and other Double Action boats for a weekend trip. I doubt it's the boats fault at 300 feet....

Jay
Let’s just go with it’s rarely the dive boat’s fault when a diver dies....

I’ve dived off this boat several times. Captain is very good and very safety conscious. He’s a rebreather diver and tech instructor himself.

Saw this thead and was wondering if you're ok since you dive a lot of wrecks on lake Michigan. It's sad when a diver dies even when you don't know them, however.

Saw this thead and was wondering if you're ok since you dive a lot of wrecks on lake Michigan. It's sad when a diver dies even when you don't know them, however.

Thank you, but the wreck they were diving was 300ft deep. That’s far beyond what I will ever do.

Thank you, but the wreck they were diving was 300ft deep. That’s far beyond what I will ever do.

There are plenty of wrecks in 6-100 feet of water. There are dozens around where I grew up, all in less than 20 feet of water. I didn't even know they were there until I started this certification course.....Going to check them out once I complete my Quarry dive.

Has to be darn cold at 300' in Lake Michigan.

RIP.......

I don't know what the protocols are on the Great Lakes but our dive team treats every recovery as a criminal investigation. Evidence is gathered regardless if it is a simple drowning or not.

Could be testing tanks as well. It's the media, accuracy is optional. Given the depth they could have said oxygen tanks and for once had a chance of being right! (Oxygen deco bottles)

Sad to hear. I was looking at this boat and other Double Action boats for a weekend trip. I doubt it's the boats fault at 300 feet....

Jay

Don’t let this deter you from diving with DA. They are top notch. I’m a local regular. If they were sketchy, I would not be diving with them at all.

Alma - Milwaukee - Wisconsin.png

Double Action Dive Charter Boat web

Seems as though it was previously associated with Shipwreck Adventures

Double Action Calendar
Calendar - Double Action Dive Charters
June 28 listing, "Albans and Emba"​

FB - 10OCT2018 - News and Photo
"We have some very exciting news! We've expanded to Milwaukee! Double Action Dive Charters would like to officially welcome Captain Bob and the Alma to the Double Action family. We have immediate openings this weekend if you want to enjoy the Milwaukee wrecks ASAP! Upcoming charters will be added to the website soon. If you want to get signed up right away, give us a call at 815-600-7090."​

Double Action DC Facebook 10OCCT2018.png

Yes, so? Same captain has been with the Alma for years.

They've now named the victims as Susan and James Winn. I hope nobody here was close to them.

The woman who was pronounced dead has been identified as Susan Winn, 53, of Kildeer, Illinois.

Her husband who is still missing but presumed dead has been identified as James Winn, 53, of Kildeer, Illinois.

There's are lots of photos and videos of them diving with rebreathers on deep wrecks. It seems they were quite accomplished divers.

In another article it says Susan ascended rapidly from 300ft.

They've now named the victims as Susan and James Winn. I hope nobody here was close to them.

There's are lots of photos and videos of them diving with rebreathers on deep wrecks. It seems they were quite accomplished divers.

In another article it says Susan ascended rapidly from 300ft.

How sad. :( The names are vaguely familiar. I’ll have to do a search on FB. They lived very close to me, but I don’t believe I met them. I don’t know many of the the local tech divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom