One dead, one missing (since found), 300 foot dive - Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What possible scenarios could cause two divers to perish on the same dive like this?
they both got a bad gas fill, they both made a flawed dive plan. Lots of other things as well.

note: my answer was to how two divers could both die on the same dive. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with this accident. Not even speculation, just an answer to "how could xxx happen".

Sit back and wait for the facts to surface.

Don’t let this deter you from diving with DA. They are top notch. I’m a local regular. If they were sketchy, I would not be diving with them at all.
Never even entered my mind. Between DRIS and you, I will look at DA when we can get away and they are running a weekend of less than 100 foot dives. My buddy uses no air, I like to breathe. Researching water temps for July and August and trying to fit it in. It's a 12 hour drive so doable for a 4 day weekend, just a long drive.

@Wookie never meant to imply the boat did anything wrong if that is the way you took it. The criminal investigation statement by the media just seemed strange...like there may be more to it. (Typical media??) Short of a boat strike, getting left behind, or possibly bad air from an on board compressor, if it happens during the dive, I agree it's on the diver. If anyone took my statement about "if it happens at 300 feet, it's probably not the boats fault" as disparaging the boat, Capitan, or crew...you took it dead wrong.

Again, condolences for the family, I'm sure there were many here that new them. @Marie13, DA's site was really slow yesterday, but this incident won't deter me from booking with them. Cost and schedule might, but any dive boat is going to have a fatality sooner or later. It's a numbers game and grim reminder that what we love to do is to enter into a fatal environment that will happily kill us at the slightest error.

See you on the wrecks!!

Jay

What are you implying?
That IMO rebreather technology is not ready for prime time yet.

Also IMO diving <200' requires a lot more surface support than is used in most cases. We can begin a discussion with the lack of surface to diver comm in most of these fatal deep diving "accidents", if you'd like. Or the lack of an on site chamber and/or MD.

If commercial divers had to dive under the conditions that "tech" divers do, doing deep dives, OSHA would be after their employers for negligence, IMO.

Never even entered my mind. Between DRIS and you, I will look at DA when we can get away and they are running a weekend of less than 100 foot dives. My buddy uses no air, I like to breathe. Researching water temps for July and August and trying to fit it in. It's a 12 hour drive so doable for a 4 day weekend, just a long drive.

@Wookie never meant to imply the boat did anything wrong if that is the way you took it. The criminal investigation statement by the media just seemed strange...like there may be more to it. (Typical media??) Short of a boat strike, getting left behind, or possibly bad air from an on board compressor, if it happens during the dive, I agree it's on the diver. If anyone took my statement about "if it happens at 300 feet, it's probably not the boats fault" as disparaging the boat, Capitan, or crew...you took it dead wrong.

Again, condolences for the family, I'm sure there were many here that new them. @Marie13, DA's site was really slow yesterday, but this incident won't deter me from booking with them. Cost and schedule might, but any dive boat is going to have a fatality sooner or later. It's a numbers game and grim reminder that what we love to do is to enter into a fatal environment that will happily kill us at the slightest error.

See you on the wrecks!!

Jay
I never took it that way, just making a point.

Also IMO diving <200' requires a lot more surface support than is used in most cases. We can begin a debate with the lack of surface to diver comm in most of these fatal deep diving "accidents", if you'd like. Or the lack of an on site chamber and/or MD.

If commercial divers had to dive under the conditions that "tech" divers do, doing deep dives, OSHA would be after their employers for negligence, IMO.

Also IMO diving <200' requires a lot more surface support than is used in most cases. We can begin a discussion with the lack of surface to diver comm in most of these fatal deep diving "accidents", if you'd like. Or the lack of an on site chamber and/or MD.

and general Aviation operates differently than Commercial, and so forth. Frankly, people engage in more risky activity for recreation than society would tolerate in commercial pursuits.

Honestly, your post seems more anger at tech than reason

As a husband and wife team, perhaps they prepared their rebreathers similarly and therein may be found the problem?

Very very sad news for the diving community.
It's a deep dive and risky. I'm sure they knew the risks.

Wishing their families peace and tranquility.

and general Aviation operates differently than Commercial, and so forth. Frankly, people engage in more risky activity for recreation than society would tolerate in commercial pursuits.

Honestly, your post seems more anger at tech than reason

I engage in risky behavior as a way of life and have the scars, plates and screws, to prove it. So what's your point?
I'm just pointing out where I think there are serious flaws in the support systems or lack thereof in what's called "tech" diving; if that sounds angry to you I can live with that.

I was "tech" diving during the 1970's What were you doing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom